Another practice yard bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

0331grunt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Webbers Falls, OK
Hey there!  Just wanted to let you all know I am still learning and NEED practice!  My wife picked up a couple of turkeys and said that I will be smoking them for the WHOLE family next week!  There will be 30 or so people here...  little nervous.  Any way.  Here is what I have done so far..

I didn't brine this one.  I injected instead.  I know brine is better, may try Jeff's Cranberry-Pomegranet Brine for the next one.  I then coated with a homemade rub and olive oil.  Got my Chargriller SFB going at about 250* and its been hovering between 200-250 since.  Using hickory.  My only hope is that it comes out resembling something edible
icon_lol.gif
.  Any other suggestions or ideas??  Should I be adding moisture to this while smoking?  If so, what is the best way?

34c37110_IMG00246-20101120-1137.jpg
105a4dfe_IMG00245-20101120-1035.jpg

Its looking good I'll look forward to more Qview

Well, after about 4 hours, I couldn't seem to keep the heat in my Chargriller... (No mods yet) So I pulled the bird, it was about 155* and put in the oven.  It crisped up well and I think it came out alright.  Not just real pleased, but my wife sure is and THAT is what is important! It wasn't too bad for my first whole turkey...

09a73867_IMG00250-20101120-1636.jpg

P.S.  My birthday is the day after Thanksgiving, and I have my eye on a 30" MES @ Bass Pro.... We will have to wait and see
biggrin.gif

Reactions: meateater
Looks great grunt!

That MES at BPS on Black Friday is a great deal.

I have the 40" SS one, and I absolutely love it.

You got 4 hours of smoke on the bird, so it will still be delicious.

It looks great and if the wife is happy life is good
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some fine looking yard bird there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky