Another noob question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jetsknicks1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Ocala, Fl.
Been playing around with my new smoker, trying different things and I'd like to try some sausage today. I'm not making my own (never have) and was looking for some grocery store guidance. Can I just use the fresh Italian sausage they make? What about pre packaged brats, kielbasa or polish sausage? Will these things work?

Thanks.

All of those will work, fresh is best for the smoker, at least I think so. Give them a try and see what you like...
Thanks. I didn't get a chance to do them the other day but I'm heading to Fresh Market today to pick up a couple different kinds to give them a shot.

This is the first post that I have seen  from you so first let me say 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF. Most sausage from the markets especially flavored sausage already has cure in then and most contain salt so you should be safe just take to a good IT.

I agree, I don't think most store bought sausages have cure added. If you plan to "cook" them in your smoker at a higher temp, 200-225 or higher, you'll be fine. If you plan to smoke them at a low temp you need to make sure they have cure added to them.

Thanks guys. I picked up some fresh turkey wine and garlic and fresh brats (just two of each since this will be a test run). I'm going to hot smoke them at about 250. I'm guessing it won't take more than a couple hours but won't checking the IT cause the sausages to dry out? I'm also thinking the IT should be 165, is that about right?

Thanks guys. I picked up some fresh turkey wine and garlic and fresh brats (just two of each since this will be a test run). I'm going to hot smoke them at about 250. I'm guessing it won't take more than a couple hours but won't checking the IT cause the sausages to dry out? I'm also thinking the IT should be 165, is that about right?
160 is the USDA recommended temp.

I'd put a probe in at about 45 minutes and leave it in until the brats are done.

Reactions: jetsknicks1
160 is the USDA recommended temp.

I'd put a probe in at about 45 minutes and leave it in until the brats are done.
Thanks Cranky. I don't have a probe, I have a digital thermometer. From past experience I know that it reads correctly but I'm guessing I don't want to leave it in the smoker. I'm thinking I'll check the temp on the brats after about an hour and go from there.

Last edited:
Sorry guys but if you buy sausage from places like Costco, Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart they do have a preserving agent added unless so state no preserving added. If you are as I under stand it your making your own fresh sausage it probably won't however a lot of bought cure mixes do contain preservant so read the labels.

Sorry guys but if you buy sausage from places like Costco, Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart they do have a preserving agent added unless so state no preserving added. If you are as I under stand it your making your own fresh sausage it probably won't however a lot of bought cure mixes do contain preservant so read the labels.
Costco, Sams, and other big box stores don't make their sausages, they buy them from a supplier, and yes they will have a cure in them.  The OP is referring to sausages that are made at the store he buys at.  Chances are, if they are declaring them as fresh sausages, they won't have a cure.

Also, most off the shelf sausage mixes DO come WITH a cure, but it's not all mixed together.  You have to add the cure that comes in a separate packet.  The reason for this is that not all folks want to make 10 pounds at one time, or they don't want to add cure...

Costco, Sams, and other big box stores don't make their sausages, they buy them from a supplier, and yes they will have a cure in them.  The OP is referring to sausages that are made at the store he buys at.  Chances are, if they are declaring them as fresh sausages, they won't have a cure.

Also, most off the shelf sausage mixes DO come WITH a cure, but it's not all mixed together.  You have to add the cure that comes in a separate packet.  The reason for this is that not all folks want to make 10 pounds at one time, or they don't want to add cure...
You're correct Cranky, I purchased fresh made sausage from the Fresh Market. I just put them on and will cook them between 225-250.

You're correct Cranky, I purchased fresh made sausage from the Fresh Market. I just put them on and will cook them between 225-250.
Let us know how it goes!

Another thing to keep in mind when buying sausages; even if is says naturally cured, or no nitrites/nitrates added, there will probably be an ingredient called "celery juice", or "celery powder"...  Celery is high in nitrite, and it's used to "impress" folks into thinking they are going nitrite free...

Turkey sausage and brats from Fresh Market. About an hour and a half between 225-250 till IT reached 160. I liked the brats better than the turkey but overall, I was pretty pleased with my first effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: crankybuzzard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky