another newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clovis

Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Hi All! I'm not even to the newbie status: I haven't bought a smoker yet. I'm an experienced home cook (I have a gas grill), but I know nothing about smoking. I need to know what kind of smoker I should think about getting. Any websites break down the pros and cons of each type for me? I don't know what questions I should ask right now.

Clovis welcome aboard just check out some of the posts here and see what ya like. I suggest you take tulsa jeffs 5 day e-cours to get you started. As far as smokers cant tell ya there just look around and see what ya like.

Looks like most everything has been covered clovis so I'll just say welcome to SMF. As msmith pointed out, the 5-day eCourse would be a great start for you.

clovis
Welcome to SMF
You have been advised in the proper direction...might consider how and where you are going to use the new smoker....have enough room for a pile of wood and operating area...no neighbors to get fussy etc... the propane and electrics simplify living in a tight neighborhood....electrics store easily....operate with just chips or small chunks....propane can overcome a cold climate easily and maintain proper heat....how much time can you give the hobby....charcoal and sticks require a considerable time investment....purists prefer to burn wood...and on and on and on

So get a library card and get-a-readin LOL

Good Luck!

Clovis..
Welcome...Now that you are in a state of total mass confusion....just sit back and start reading ...it will all come together for ya...
Good Luck
Later
Richard

Welcome to the SMF. What can I add? The members before me have given you some great advise.

I am really impressed with this forum. I thank you all for your quick and thoughtful responses. I will do my reading.

Let's make it very simple. Get an ECB. It's cheap, you'll get your feet wet, you'll make great food, and if it's not something you like, no harm done. If you do like it, you can graduate to something bigger and better.
Oh, welcome to SMF.

Nope can't help you there. No PDF on smoker selections. I got the ECB because my grill burners rotted out. I was looking for parts and decided I could get the ECB for the same price as a burner and see if I could do a decent smoke.

I got the All-In-One which DOES NOT have a door, to add fuel or vents or anything. It is not great as a grill but does smoke meat very well. It's a PITA because you have to pick up the whole thing to add fuesl but hey it was CHEAP. I does make a great cooker for home brew as well so I got a cheap smoker and a turkey fryer unit that realy puts out fire.

Debi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky