Another new member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikeb

Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Farmingdale, NY
A friend gave me his horizontal barrel smoker with the smoker box on the side (hope I get the lingo right) for some work I did for him. I have been thinking about getting started smoking for some time now. I spent a few hours tonight looking for a good website and this appears to be the best.  I was sold once I saw that you DO NOT recommend using a used marinate to baste the meat. That is just not a good idea. You would be surprised how many sites and recipes tell you to do so. The forums are VERY informative. I have learned alot in just the hour or so I have been here. Just wanted to say Hi and complement you folks on a great site!

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Also remember there are no dumb questions here so if you have any questions just ask them we are here to help. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to SMF - some of the most talented smokers in the world hang out here - Welcome

cool.gif

First off Welcome Mike to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

And while your on the E course we all highly recommend you buy Jeff's rub and sauce recipe while your there, it's so worth it. Be sure and keep a journal of recipe's and rubs and temps and woods. It can be a lot to remember after you fill yourself with some great eats, and a few wobbly pops.

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing your set up and Q views.

Happy Smoking 
icon_razz.gif

Welcometo SMF Mike.  You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site.  I have only been on here a couple of months but have learned a lot! 

Wobbly Pops?? LMBO I am waiting for my 3rd installment of the ecourse and just ordered the 2 recipes. I think I will start with a little chicken this weekend so I can start to learn how to use the smoker properly. THANKS for all the help so far and for the help to come!!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif
 Marinades can be used with success, coating in thick BBQ sauce not so much.  Keep poking around and ask a question anytime, this is the friendliest smoking place around.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mike, they weren't kidding about the addiction
eek.gif
 It is called O.S.D,- or -Obsessive Smoking Disorder , and once smitten,you can only expect Friends and Neighbors to overrun your home.

This malady will keep you reading BBQ forums,looking wishfully for things to make pits of,sneaking around looking for downed wood,getting the urge to sit-up all night to do a smoke,constantly adding new toys to your arsenal and you'll make friends quicker than you can shake a Rib
icon_exclaim.gif

Have fun here and,

OK. Smoked my first 2 chickens on Saturday. We ate one then and finished the other tonite. Almost as good tonite as Saturday . I only took a few pics and will get them up soon. They were great, but I can already see how I can make them better next time! The Smoking Meat-Detailed Log is very handy.  I use the same kind of log for making my beer. Hey Oldschool.......I can feel the OSD taking hold now!!  I had a great time and got some yard work done and watched a ballgame at the same time. Who says men can't multi-task
icon_confused.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky