Another Michigander

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
I’ve grilled for decades, ventured into smoking about 6 years ago after receiving a LP Masterbuilt Elite as a gift.

I was able to produce some decent meals with it. But unfortunately the smoker gave up the ghost this spring.

Decided to try my hand with an offset. And before I committed big $$ on a pit, I picked up an OKJ Highland 2 weeks ago on clearance to learn on and see if I can figure out how to make it work.
No real mods other than homemade (thanks YouTube) expanded metal basket for FB.

So far, I have had little to no issues with getting and holding a temp during seasoning or cooks. Actually it’s been easier to maintain a temp than I encountered with the Sportsman.

Currently have 2 racks of baby backs in the OJK.

I look forward to learning, and I have A LOT to learn, and maybe someday offer some tid bits of information.

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the new smoker.

Chris

Reactions: Danno44
Welcome, Danno. Yep, lots to learn and take in. If you're able to maintain temps already with your new offset, I'd say your halfway there!!! Don't hesitate to ask questions and don't forget to send us some pictures of those ribs.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! I don’t have an OKJoe but I do have an offset. Ive been pretty happy with it. Mine is a cheap-o, but I’ve learned a lot and done some mods to it. It has been pretty reliable. I’m sure you will be pleased with your smoker. Thanks for joining. Post some pics sometime. We love the Q views.

Baby backs turned out good. Have to slightly over cook them, daughter has braces and it’s easier for her to eat them.
3OcGXyC.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky