Another Marathon Bologna run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Well I stuffed seven 43mm x 18" ring casings and started them last night at 8:30 pm . Now we are a little over 13 hours into the smoking process. At the 11th hour the IT was at 150 and now it has dropped to 148 ! The smoker is running at a steady 170 . This is a 12.5 pound batch of pennsylvania deer bologna . Why does the temp go up and down like that ?

Well Joe, sorry I can't help you out with your question, but I can tell your gonna be full of bologna for a while. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
Well Joe, sorry I can't help you out with your question, but I can tell your gonna be full of bologna for a while. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Chris
That's the plan ! I just need to be patient and this load will reach IT . Leaving for our annual Elk hunt Thursday so we need something to snack on.

Reactions: gmc2003
Actually pretty classic issue for me almost like the stall for butts. Much like the stall it's evaporative cooling. Bump 10F. If vented, close it. What you aiming for?

Reactions: poacherjoe
It’s most likely pasteurized at this point just pull it out and eat it.. it’s drops due to evaporative cooling you need more humidity or higher temps. I take my bologna to 152F and pull it

You got your answer on the cooling . I agree with pulling it . It's done .
Last batch I did stuck at 148 .

Reactions: poacherjoe
Well I pulled it at 151 . 16 hours in the smoker . Ice bath in process . I have ordered some more sausage books to read so I can understand what you mean on " Evaporative Cooling " . Thanks Team !!!

Reactions: zwiller
what you mean on " Evaporative Cooling "
Sweating . The moisture evaps out of the meat and cools it .
I had a ham in the smoker last winter . 14 degrees outside . The ham was almost done at 150 IT . I went out , opened the door and double checked with an instant read . That cold air got in the smoker and the IT of the ham dropped to 142 .

Think of you working in the yard on a hot day . You start to sweat , then you catch a slight breeze . It cools you down .

Rich chopsaw chopsaw beat me to it (and WAAAAAY better explanation than anything I coulda did LOL). Honestly, don't think I ever read about it even in Marianski and learned of it here. Drove me NUTS a long time. Resting overnight at room temps helped a bit but last run I just did with my new new Auber PID seems to have really helped alot. Like he says it is REALLY bad to open the smoker checking IT towards end of the smoke and better to use a remote of sorts.

Rich chopsaw chopsaw beat me to it (and WAAAAAY better explanation than anything I coulda did LOL). Honestly, don't think I ever read about it even in Marianski and learned of it here. Drove me NUTS a long time. Resting overnight at room temps helped a bit but last run I just did with my new new Auber PID seems to have really helped alot. Like he says it is REALLY bad to open the smoker checking IT towards end of the smoke and better to use a remote of sorts.
Yeah I have had the same size batch finish in 9 hours with a steady rise to the finish and some that take much longer ! I am using a SmokinTex 1460 which is just like the Smokit and Cookshack smokers and I added the Auber PID for consistent temps . And I learned early about opening the smoker. I sometimes run 2 temp sensors but the Auber is always spot on. Thanks again for the coaching.

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
Been there and admit it's puzzling. I have also run into a stall where the exterior of the sausage dries and temps just do not budge. Lots of factors at play, like what meat temp was going in, fat content, and type of protein. Also, how you're running the smoke/ramp time and temps. Rich chopsaw chopsaw helped me through alot. The overnight room temp rest was a game changer for me and now with the Auber it appears I got a handle on it. (knocks wood) Being consistent at anything is one of hardest things to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky