Another jerk fail...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks. I learned the ketchup thing researching. Apparently most places thin the paste/marinade down with various things to make a sauce. Red Stripe, fruit juice, and ketchup are common. My Grace jerk sauce is red label "hot" and they ain't kidding! :emoji_laughing: I like hot stuff but NO WAY you can eat the stuff straight.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks. I learned the ketchup thing researching. Apparently most places thin the paste/marinade down with various things to make a sauce. Red Stripe, fruit juice, and ketchup are common. My Grace jerk sauce is red label "hot" and they ain't kidding! :emoji_laughing: I like hot stuff but NO WAY you can eat the stuff straight.
Walkerswood "mild" is a bit spicy unless thinned, too

Wow! Great suggestions everyone. Thank you all so much. I’m going to play around a little more and see if I can get it right.

Anyone have any favorite sides to serve with a jerk bbq meal?

Never had legit jerk... That said, I love the style. I think the guys pointed you in the right direction, think wood fired grill not low and slow. From here, I believe the actual jerk technique varies on the protein. I make jerk pork in the traditional manner with wet marinade and cook. That said, I use a fresh made wet marinade and prefer it over WW. The wet marinade I make has an intense flavor compared to WW. The finished jerk pork takes on a very rich near almost steak flavor. Not sure if that is legit but I sure like it. I prepare like they do. Pork butt cut into strip for maximum marinade penetration and take IT to 200 or just under FOTB and chop. FYI the marinade is hot as a MOFO (still tasty tho) but there is very little heat in the finished product. I suggest you play with pork for awhile first.

Only made jerk chicken once and it was also a fail HOWEVER I have really studied it and plan to run some soon. I have a few GOOD books and also read LOTS online... My thoughts on jerk chicken are that is made not like jerk pork but similar to american BBQ. Dry brined and once near cooked apply the jerk sauce liike typical BBQ. I think WW might work as a sauce here but I plan to make the marinade and cut it with some ketchup.

WRT to piemento. I don't think it is really a secret weapon. I have "piemento" pellets and while they are a blend, it's still a strong smoke. I'd say 50:50 apple:mesquite would be pretty close as a substitute.

Here is the dry jerk mix I plan to use for chicken and also her book that use to make the marinade:

Lastly... I know there are some Kiss fans here and saw this today. Seems strangely relevant :emoji_laughing:

What is the holy hell is that?:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Reactions: zwiller
Bunch of sides in the book I posted. Last jerk pork run I made rice and beans and fried plantain. Rice and beans is made with coconut milk and a touch of the jerk spices. My girls are on the fence with the jerk thing. If they finally cave and let me go nuts with it then I will make "festival" which are pieces of fried dough with spices similar to "hush puppies" but we don't deep fry much stuff here.

Reactions: Primerib
I just about nailed it today.
I had a couple of chicken thighs that needed cooking. I deboned, but left the skin.

Made a 1/4 batch of JJ's marinade, but didn't have any hot chilies. I added about 4 Tbls of Walkerswood hot to replace.
Marinated for 14 hours, then washed and air dried for 3 hours.
Grilled on the Weber with a plate of jerk pellets on the side.
Didn't get enough jerk pellet smoke, but the marinade flavor is what I remember from years ago.
Skin crisped up pretty good, but next time remember to scrape the excess fat, disco disco style
Wife didn't like the first few bites, but by end of meal loved it and wants it again.

Thanks for the incentive Primerib Primerib

Ran some drums and split breast last night. WOW. My previous results are no fluke... Dry rub with Helen's a few days 325Fish with tube of piemento. Outstanding. Sorry no pics the rum was flowing... :emoji_laughing: No need for sauce really. Ran drums to around 190F and breasts to 170F. I might like the drums more. I made sauce and it was ok but not where I want it. I think there is something going on with the fruit juices I am using and think their pH is being adjusted and much less acidic. I tried to doctor with lime juice but not happy. Gonna try and doctor the storebought with onion/green onion and get it closer to jerk paste formula like chef jimmyj chef jimmyj and cut it with ketchup, etc. Kinda sorta:

Reactions: jcam222
Man I love both Grace and Walkerwoods! I put it on heavy when I marinade. Usually just mixed with oil.

Reactions: JC in GB
Almost a year to date LOL. Man this getting seriously good now. Dry brine in Helen's mix a few days, 325F with pimento pellets, hit it with some sauce at the end. I am REAL close to being done with the sauce. Essentially ketchup, limeade, WW paste, onion, green onion, with fresh ground BP and allspice. Might need a little fat or oil and lime juice for acidity but being VERY picky.

20220727_203729_resized.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky