Another Greek Marvel. . .Avgolemono!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
My Greek grandmother, Ya Ya Marmarou, taught my mother how to make this incredible soup. Thank goodness I paid attention when my mom showed me how to make it. A culinary marvel such as this should be shared with family and friends. Therefore, I have decided to share it with you all.

Ingredients:

• 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup short grain rice or orzo
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3 eggs (separated)
  • white or black pepper
  • salt, if desired

IMG_1288.jpg

1. Bring the chicken broth to a soft boil, add the rice or orzo. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.

IMG_1293.jpg

2. In a small bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff.

IMG_1292.jpg

3. Add the yokes and stir until the eggs are light and creamy. Beat in the lemon juice.

IMG_1295.jpg

4. Ladle about a quart of the simmering soup into the egg and lemon mixture, whisking constantly.

IMG_1297.jpg

5. Gradually add the egg mixture to the rest of the soup, stirring vigorously.

IMG_1298.jpg

6. Remove the finished soup from the heat and continue stirring for about a minute.

7. Serve immediately, adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper. Add oyster crackers if desired.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

This soup is a staple in most Greek homes. . .I have been enjoying this soup for 65 years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks for tuning in.

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
That soup looks fantastic. I like some of the Greek ways. Lemon on lamb for instance. This soup looks interesting, can meat be added ever? Or is this just a smooth soup?

Dang BC, that looks really good! I'm going to give it a whirl soon......Bookmarked!

My Greek grandmother, Ya Ya Marmarou, taught my mother how to make this incredible soup. Thank goodness I paid attention when my mom showed me how to make it. A culinary marvel such as this should be shared with family and friends. Therefore, I have decided to share it with you all.

Ingredients:

• 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup short grain rice or orzo
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3 eggs (separated)
  • white or black pepper
  • salt, if desired

View attachment 527560

1. Bring the chicken broth to a soft boil, add the rice or orzo. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.

View attachment 527561

2. In a small bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff.

View attachment 527562

3. Add the yokes and stir until the eggs are light and creamy. Beat in the lemon juice.

View attachment 527563

4. Ladle about a quart of the simmering soup into the egg and lemon mixture, whisking constantly.

View attachment 527564

5. Gradually add the egg mixture to the rest of the soup, stirring vigorously.

View attachment 527565

6. Remove the finished soup from the heat and continue stirring for about a minute.

7. Serve immediately, adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper. Add oyster crackers if desired.

View attachment 527566

View attachment 527567

This soup is a staple in most Greek homes. . .I have been enjoying this soup for 65 years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks for tuning in.

Enjoy,

John
Thank you for sharing that wonderful recipe with us!

Also, it's perfect timing too. I observe the Lenten season so tomorrow and every Friday up to Easter, the only meat I will be consuming on those days will be Fish and/or eggs.
I can use chicken bullion for the broth and I will use shirataki rice in place of the orzo.

I now have an additional low carb soup option for the season!!! Thanks a ton! :D

That soup looks fantastic. I like some of the Greek ways. Lemon on lamb for instance. This soup looks interesting, can meat be added ever? Or is this just a smooth soup?
My mother used to add small meat balls to it at times as well as bits of chicken but I always preferred it without meat.

John

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thank you for sharing that wonderful recipe with us!

Also, it's perfect timing too. I observe the Lenten season so tomorrow and every Friday up to Easter, the only meat I will be consuming on those days will be Fish and/or eggs.
I can use chicken bullion for the broth and I will use shirataki rice in place of the orzo.

I now have an additional low carb soup option for the season!!! Thanks a ton! :D
I know that my mom always used chicken broth {both canned and homemade) but never used bullion.

Not sure how it would taste with bullion.

John

Reactions: tallbm
Man oh MAN!!! That looks awesome! I love how Mediterranean people can make extraordinary dishes with just a few simple ingredients. I must try this soup!
I had an opportunity to visit my mom's and dad's village in Greece when I was a young man. It became evident to me how simple ingredients created wonderful, delicious dishes. Wonderful people the Greeks.

John

Wow! That’s a really cool recipe to share! I’m trying to get my head wrapped around it. I can’t wait to try this just for the experience. I grew up with very hearty German or classic American dishes, that’s what has stayed with me. If I could pull this off my wife would be shocked! Thank you for sharing!

Wow! That’s a really cool recipe to share! I’m trying to get my head wrapped around it. I can’t wait to try this just for the experience. I grew up with very hearty German or classic American dishes, that’s what has stayed with me. If I could pull this off my wife would be shocked! Thank you for sharing!
Jed,

Thanks. It's easier to make than you think. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky