Another Greek Marvel. . .Avgolemono!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love soups, especially the simpler ones and this is something I’ve never heard of. I’m definitely giving this one a go. It looks and sounds delicious to me.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Oh, and if I were able to give you a second like because of the PBR, I would have.

I love soups, especially the simpler ones and this is something I’ve never heard of. I’m definitely giving this one a go. It looks and sounds delicious to me.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Oh, and if I were able to give you a second like because of the PBR, I would have.

Most Greeks know about Avgolemono. I wouldn't have expected you to have been aware of it. . .That is why I posted it. . .Wanted to spread the love to the rest of the non-Greek world. . .LOL!

Thanks for the Like and the second attempt via the PBR!

By the way. . .Nice looking Pointers!

John

Last edited:
Reactions: xray
All Greeks know about Avgolemono. I wouldn't have expected you to have been aware of it. . .That is why I posted it. . .Wanted to spread the love to the rest of the non-Greek world. . .LOL!

Thanks for the Like and the second attempt via the PBR!

By the way. . .Nice looking Pointers!

John

Thanks! Sadly we lost the one on the right in my avatar in 2020. I haven’t gotten the heart to change it yet.

THANKS. Is this the infamous Greek "lemon soup"? I have never known the real name. Love that stuff! Totally trying this. Thought this would much harder to make. I may have already asked but any pointers for a good souvlaki rub?

THANKS. Is this the infamous Greek "lemon soup"? I have never known the real name. Love that stuff! Totally trying this. Thought this would much harder to make. I may have already asked but any pointers for a good souvlaki rub?

Sam
This is indeed the famous Greek lemon soup. A balance of just the right amount of lemon juice with the chicken broth. Easy to make and delicious!

As far as Souvlaki: Traditionaly a rub is not used. Souvlaka are usually marinated in olive oil, oregano, thyme, lemon juice, minced garlic & onions. Usually overnight, then skewered and grilled over charcoal. Can be chicken or lamb. If you desire, you can add red wine vinegar to the marinade as well. Sometimes served with Tzatziki sauce.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
John that sounds fantastic. To a degree it reminds me somewhat of a Hollandaise sauce but with more complexity. Someone is thinking he might just have to give this a whirl real soon :emoji_wink: Love the concept of (what appears to be) a hot ham and cheese sandwich along with the soup. Very well done and another family recipe shared. It is threads like this which make SMF such an incredible place.

Robert

I just told my wife about this post. She responded with a very enthusiastic "SAVE IT!"

She is from the Detroit suburbs, where they have a huge Mediterranean population. Authentic food like this just doesn't exist like this where we live. She'll be very thankful.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
John that sounds fantastic. To a degree it reminds me somewhat of a Hollandaise sauce but with more complexity. Someone is thinking he might just have to give this a whirl real soon :emoji_wink: Love the concept of (what appears to be) a hot ham and cheese sandwich along with the soup. Very well done and another family recipe shared. It is threads like this which make SMF such an incredible place.

Robert
Robert,

Thank you for the kind words.

Family recipes to some people are considered sacred and kept secret. To me, if they are indeed any good they should be shared. After all, if it weren't for people sharing their recipes we would still be eating bland, same old- same old.

And yes, that was a grilled ham and cheese sandwich which complimented the soup.

Take care my friend,

John

I just told my wife about this post. She responded with a very enthusiastic "SAVE IT!"

She is from the Detroit suburbs, where they have a huge Mediterranean population. Authentic food like this just doesn't exist like this where we live. She'll be very thankful.
Nate,

I aim to please. . .I'm sure (being from Detroit) your wife has been exposed to many ethnic dishes,

This one is my gift to you and her. If you have any questions please feel free to ask,

John

Couldn't agree more. I once read something to the effect of "All the great recipes are meant to be shared. The rest are kept secret".

Robert
Robert,

Yep. . .That was a quote that appeared in our good friend's chef jimmyj chef jimmyj 's Signature.

I really miss him and his contribution to this Forum. . .Just typing this I have a tear in my eye.

May he rest in peace!

John

Last edited:
Thanks! Sadly we lost the one on the right in my avatar in 2020. I haven’t gotten the heart to change it yet.
It's always tough and tragic to loose a beloved pet. Did you hunt with them? It took me a looooooong time to get over the loss of my Lab Molly. She always knew when the weekend was coming because we were going after ducks and geese. Best pal and the best days of my life (excluding family) were spent with her afield.

Don't change a thing in your avatar. . .They are beautiful dogs and a testament to their loyalty and unconditional love,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: xray
Wow , that looks amazing!!!

John, have you ever tried it using Meyers lemons?
Reason being is I have a huge Meyer's tree at the house and would love to find another way to use them.

Wow , that looks amazing!!!

John, have you ever tried it using Meyers lemons?
Reason being is I have a huge Meyer's tree at the house and would love to find another way to use them.
Not sure what Meyers lemons are (but I will look it up).

But, I am sure about this. About 15 years ago there was a frost kill of lemon trees in Florida and lemon prices skyrocketed. Guess what! the exorbitant prices never came down.

If you have a lemon tree in your back yard you are a lucky guy.

I will get back to you regarding the Meyers lemons,

John

Here you go:

Can They Be Substituted for Each Other?
Yes, in most cases. Both Meyer lemons and regular lemons can be used in the same ways. You can juice them for cocktails, spritzers, or a vinaigrette, and use the pulp or zest for an array of sweet and savory dishes alike.
Just remember that regular lemons lack the sweetness of Meyer lemons. So, regular lemons will add a stronger acidity, while Meyer lemons will add more sweetness to a recipe. Also, some recipes really rely on that herbal, spicy quality of the Meyer lemon rind, and substituting the more brash and less nuanced peel of a regular lemon can make a recipe turn out rather differently.
Our suggestion when substituting regular lemons or lemon juice for Meyer lemons, is to go slowly and start with half the amount, then taste before adding the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
John, thank you for sharing the recipe and for a very nice detailed thread! This is on the to do list soon! My fam loves soup and this looks like a real winner! Again, thank you!

John, thank you for sharing the recipe and for a very nice detailed thread! This is on the to do list soon! My fam loves soup and this looks like a real winner! Again, thank you!
You are welcome my friend. . .Enjoy!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky