Another Frustrating Smoke . . .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
windbreak is the way to go, if you can't make/find one, then be sure to have the firebox on the windy sidw, In otherwards, if the wind is from the north, turn that dog around and make sure tht the firebox is on the north sideof the rig. You may have to shut down some vents, but if it is the other way, the wind will suck the heat out before it can get to the smokin chamber!

Don't give up! I chuckled a bit when I read your post, but thats because I have been there. I think there are afew of us who have. You teo will laugh about it in another year or so, by then, it will all be second nature to you!
cool.gif

Thanks for the offer, Rich. I could probably get some oak firewood and a barrel, but I live in the city limits so I am not sure how the burn barrel restrictions would apply. Also "She Who Must Be Obeyed" would not be happy (extreme understatement). It is challenging enough to get free time to smoke.

There is one other larger Walmart that I can try but, again, I think there are regional differences that affect selection. The local Safeway carries Best of the West but according to the NakedWhiz database, it is worse than Cowboy.

Between my son's baseball games and my daughter's upcoming First Communion, it will be a couple of weeks before I can smoke again. Will give me time to search. My quest for (quality) lump shall continue!

Dave

Actually . . . I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier . . . "She Who Must Be Obeyed's" brother owns a tree trimming company and lives outside the city limits. But he is primarily a gas bbq man . . . has a very elaborate outdoor kitchen setup and patio. But he does like to do "barrel chickens" occasionally (with Kingsford briquettes). I would have to convice him of the benefits of using lump charcoal though.

Hmm . . interesting.

Dave

I had the same problem last Friday.. It was cold.. very windy.. and wet and rainy. I couldn't get the temps up enough.

I did use a wool blanket one time it was real windy.. and that worked great.. but it doesnt' exactly work in the rain. I'm thinking about making a windbreak very soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky