1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Another Epic Meal: Bison Steaks And Sausage Feast (Heavy Q-View)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tx smoker, Jun 18, 2018.

1. A couple friends that join us regularly for meals have asked for several years "what's next?", "where are we going from here?", "how are you going to top this?" Ie: each meal has gotten better and better. They are prompting me to take it to the next level....so I did :) I decided that we ought to try Buffalo steaks. One of the friends said he'd pay for the meat since I usually do and would be doing all the work this time. Sounded good to me!! The decision was made to do Ribeyes. Ordered the meat last Monday, it got here Thursday, and we did dinner Saturday. As soon as I opened the box, I was blown away!! Incredible array of meat (I ordered a LOT more than just the steaks for our dinner) and the packaging was done in a way that bespeaks true professionalism. They took great care to ensure everything would be perfect upon arrival....and it was. Since this was intended to be a special meal, I decided to pull out all the stops. This was made easier since I didn't have to shell out the money for the steaks, and that was a pretty hefty chunk of cash :) Disclaimer: a couple of the early pics in this post are a bit fuzzy. I just got the new phone and forgot to take the plastic cover off the camera lens. OOPS!! The pics are all thumbnails so you can click on them to enlarge.

Here are the steaks defrosting
    012.jpg

Started with an appetizer plate with home made spicy Summer Sausage, Andouille, and 3 exotic cheeses that my wife got
    013.jpg

Also had a veggie plate with spinach dip for appetizers
    017.jpg

Portabella mushrooms with stems removed, cleaned out the inside, and lightly brushed olive oil on the outside.
    006.jpg

Plate full of home made bacon lightly fried and chopped up
    005.jpg

Fill mushrooms with bacon
    007.jpg

Add shredded Parmesan cheese
    008.jpg

Top with fresh parsley straight from our little garden
    011.jpg

A couple links of my Habanero Cajun sausage defrosted and ready to go on the smoker
    010.jpg

Bison steaks sprinkled with a little Cajun Blackening season on both sides. I wasn't trying to blacken the steaks, I just love the flavor
    016.jpg

A nice salad to go along with dinner
    014.jpg

Steamed a big batch of long grain wild rice then stirred in fresh chopped broccoli and cheddar cheese sauce. First time I've ever done this but it won't be the last. It was really, really good!! Everybody loved it.
    018.jpg

'Shrooms on the grill over the middle burner, which is not lit. Right and left burners going so they will cook with indirect heat
    020.jpg

Steaks after the flip
    022.jpg

A platter full of Bison deliciousness!!
    023.jpg

Sausages smoked, sliced, and ready to eat
    025.jpg

Mushrooms done
    026.jpg

Money shot!!
    027.jpg

One a little closer to see the steaks better
    028.jpg

My buddy Rick performing his mandatory outdoor concert after dinner. He has been playing guitar for a LONG time and is really good. Here he is doing "Radar Love" by The Golden Earring. We usually do the concerts pool-side but they were calling for heavy rain so we stayed on the patio. At this point, everybody is pretty much comatose anyway :)
    029.jpg

Somehow I've managed to put together a few nice meals in the past but this one takes the cake. It'll go down in the history books as the best to date. The steaks were absolutely amazing as was the service I received from the company I ordered them from. Quality was outstanding and the flavor was off the charts. It had a deeper, richer flavor than beef but not all all "gamey". I think I'd take this over beef any day, and I'm a beef lover of the highest degree. Add some good friends and great side dishes, you have a perfect setting. Overall a fantastic time with our best friends and the best food we've ever experienced....and to think I still have a bunch of Buffalo and Elk meat in the freezer....hee hee hee. We may be doing this again real soon :) Note: Not sure where to post this one. It could be in the sausage forum but it's about more than just sausage. Doesn't really belong in the game meat forum because it's not wild game. It's all ranch raised and pasture fed just like beef. I'll leave this one to the moderators to figure out :)

A bunch of happy campers in Lago,
    Robert

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      106.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      124.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      124.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

Wow, that is a great looking meal. Those mushrooms have my mouth watering! Points for sure.

3. Ishi

Ishi Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I’m so jealous on the Bison steaks!! Fantastic cook!!

4. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks great, Like!

5. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Awesome meal.

You mentioned both buffalo and bison. The steaks were...?

6. "Awesome meal. You mentioned both buffalo and bison. The steaks were...?"

Buffalo and Bison are one in the same. Kinda like sheetrock and drywall....redundant and repetitive, and a few other similes I could come up with :)

Clarifying,
    Robert

7. atomicsmoke

I thought this is the buffalo
    14mozzarella1-articleLarge.jpg

8. chilerelleno

I thought it was pretty much taken for granted the the OP's meat was American Bison aka American Buffalo, not European Bison 'Asian' Water Buffalo, 'African' Cape Buffalo or any others.

But AtomicSmoke is technically correct as the American Bison is indeed a bison, not a buffalo.
    Though we use the names interchangeably for our big hairy prairie critter, buffalo is a misnomer.

9. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow what a meal!
    Great work!
    Everything looks delicious!
    Al

10. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Call it what you want - I call it delicious looking.

Point for sure.

Chris

11. "But AtomicSmoke is technically correct as the American Bison is indeed a bison, not a buffalo.
    Though we use the names interchangeably for our big hairy prairie critter, buffalo is a misnomer."

If that's the case, I stand corrected and the steaks were American Bison. Now I need to research and find out for sure. If the info is correct, there is a lot of misinformation out there :)

Robert

12. Ok...found this on the Wyoming Buffalo Meat Co. website and confirmed it via Wikipedia and Britannica:

"Not everyone knows the difference between buffalo and bison. Calling a bison a buffalo is inaccurate, but a common mistake. It’s so common, in fact, that we sometimes use the two interchangeably. But if you really want to know the difference between a buffalo and a bison, the American Bison is native to North and South America and Europe, while the other two buffalo species reside in Africa and Asia. Bison and buffalo share the same family, but there are over 38 types of buffalo and, unlike bison, many of them have been domesticated.

A few more fun facts; North American bison have a beard, while their Asian relatives don’t and American Bison can live in really cold places, like Wyoming!"

What's really interesting is that the company refutes the theory of American Bison being the same as Buffalo, they are selling American Bison on their website, but calling themselves the "Wyoming Buffalo Meat Co." Sort of an oxymoron in my opinion, but at least I learned something new today so my day is now complete :)

Clarifying,
    Robert

13. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

My Thoughts Exactly!!:)
    Awful lot of Tasty Looking Treats!!!
    Like.

Bear

14. atomicsmoke

It wasnt my intention to play the smarta$$. I genuinely wanted to know where the steak came from.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. chilerelleno

@atomicsmoke
    I didn't think you were trying to be a [email protected]$$.
    Lots of places selling exotic meats, from Aardvark to Zebra, and everything in between, e.g.Guinea pigs.
    Anyone ever wants some incredibly tasty meat, spend the money or hunt some Axis deer.... Wow!

16. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Guinea pigs really, the same ones our kids keep in cages as pets. Wow who da thunk it.

Thanks but no thanks.

Chris

17. "It wasnt my intention to play the smarta$$. I genuinely wanted to know where the steak came from."

As much as I appreciate your commentary, I assure you that at no point did I think you were being a smarta$$. Truth be told, I thought I may have written the post to be confusing to some people. Turns out that there is a big difference between Bison and Buffalo so this was a good learning experience for me and felt that clarification was in order since I made the mistake.

Eating humble pie,
    Robert

18. Looks fantastic! What a treat!

I hope bison becomes more common. I've made burgers out of ground bison, which were as good as or better than beef burgers. And I made a bison pot roast, which was as good as beef pot roast. The roast had the same meat texture as beef, maybe softer, and an interesting gelatinous fat, like jelly texture. I got these at my local grocery store. Now they've got bison steaks, but not the roasts. I'm going to have to try them soon!

19. chilerelleno

They're actually quite tasty
    , a traditional Ecuadorian dish, also popular in other West coast South American countries.

20. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Couldn't knowingly do it after my daughter raised flap and jack.

Chris