Another Brisket Question, Please Read

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bones816

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2018
East Central Wisconsin
Ok guys and gals, I haven't been here in a while but I need your help. I have never done a brisket. I plan to for the 4th! I have two, 7 1/2# flats. I may only do one, I haven't decided yet. Here is the BIG question... Is there any way to get a brisket done by say, 1pm without staying up all night? I really don't want to start at 2am-3am to have them resting by say, 11 to be eating them at like 1 or 2pm. Can a guy take one to 160* on a day then wrap it and put it back in the fridge then put it back on in the morning of the doo dah and finish it for lunch? I've done it with ribs and they were fine. Thanks for your help! Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Don't worry. You won't have to wake up at 2-3 am for a 7lb flat. If you want it off by 11a, then she'll have to go on more in the 11p-12a slot! :-D

There's some folks here that run them hot and fast. Search for a recent thread where the fella cooked them at like 375 degrees and loved them. If you do choose that method, please post your results!

Reactions: webs05
Ok guys and gals, I haven't been here in a while but I need your help. I have never done a brisket. I plan to for the 4th! I have two, 7 1/2# flats. I may only do one, I haven't decided yet. Here is the BIG question... Is there any way to get a brisket done by say, 1pm without staying up all night? I really don't want to start at 2am-3am to have them resting by say, 11 to be eating them at like 1 or 2pm. Can a guy take one to 160* on a day then wrap it and put it back in the fridge then put it back on in the morning of the doo dah and finish it for lunch? I've done it with ribs and they were fine. Thanks for your help! Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

I would smoke all the way to completion and then reheat the next day. That way you only need to take it to 140 or so instead of the normal 200+. Or yes, you'll need to wake up at 3 or 4...

I always cook brisket over night. For me there are too many variables otherwise and the last thing I want is hungry people standing around while I explain that it's not an exact science. If overnight won't work I'd cook it the day before and re-heat. Otherwise you're asking for your first brisket to be a bad experience.

I have overnighted a 7LB flat running is low and slow and it took more than 12 hours. I think at 225-235 start it 8-10PM and see where its at when you get up (assuming you get up at a decent time). if they are evenly thick it will be a long cook running it low and slow.

Damn it! Looks like my options are starting it at 0-dark-thirty or doing it a couple days before hand and reheating. Doesn’t anybody eat brisket for lunch?!?!

Damn it! Looks like my options are starting it at 0-dark-thirty or doing it a couple days before hand and reheating. Doesn’t anybody eat brisket for lunch?!?!

Sure...by starting 30 hours before ;)

If you have a vaccum sealer though, reheat would be easy. Just sous vide it <if you got it> or put well sealed bags in simmering water.

Sure...by starting 30 hours before ;)

If you have a vaccum sealer though, reheat would be easy. Just sous vide it <if you got it> or put well sealed bags in simmering water.
I do not have a sous vide, yet. Please explain what I could do by sealing the flat and what, par cooking it?

Malcolm Reed shows one way is to cook it completely then seal it up and reheat when you're ready.

4EA71AFB-D00B-4E66-949A-9A209DF4F058.jpeg
5EAD2185-0F82-46AE-95A1-503D71274BCD.jpeg
So I know I said these were flats buuuut... the label says “whole brisket”.

Hot and fast man! Setup your smoker to run 275F.-300F. Wrap at 160F. and take to 200F. and rest. Even then to have lunch at 1-2pm plan on getting up pretty early like 3am to get the smoker going and up to temp to start cooking by 4am. You should have enough time to pull the meat and rest for 1-2 hours before lunch. You can always go to bed early after the party.

If you want "set it and forget it" like the old Ronco info commercials that requires a pellet cooker or something like a Bradley digital, both of which I can respect, but wouldn't buy personally. To me smoke comes from fire made from wood..

Unfortunately, grocers take way too much liberty in labing these days. Saw a similar 'Whole Brisket' label at the local Krogers just the other day. Sure enough it was strictly a flat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky