Another brisket attempt...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salsashark

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Well, brisket and me... we haven't always gotten along. I don't know if it's just the wrong seasonings, wrong cooking method, or just wrong me. Anyway, I was inspired the other day  to fire up the smoker this morning and give it another shot. 

Since everyone's weekend was booked, I figured this would be a perfect time to experiment and try to replicate some of the other cooking methods that I've read about on here. I figure if it all goes bad, I'm the only one who's put out.

So I headed down to the local grocers and found a small brisket point to throw in the smoker. 

Rubbed it down good last night:

Rub
  • paprika
  • season salt
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • ground jalapeno powder
  • black pepper
Fired up the smoker this morning and got it up to 225. With hickory in the smoke box and the water jacket full, on went the meat.

Several hours later, the brisket hit 170 so I tossed it on some foil, threw in some Lynchberg mop, then put it back in the smoker until 190.

Going into the foil:

013b19c7_smallpointexpirement.jpg

It's sitting in the cooler wrapped up in some towels right now. I'll snap a Qview when I pull it out for dinner. 

Here's to hoping for a positive outcome!

Last edited:
Well... the taste was spot on, but a bit dry.

Had a temp spike when the water jacket ran dry which I think led to the meat being a bit on the dry side.

Next time, I'll start it in a foil pan... then cover the pan... 

Oh well, at least it tasted good... and it will be real good on a sandwich tomorrow during football!

86021a35_101620009.jpg

sounds like you got the better of the brisket. Looks great. 

Well... the taste was spot on, but a bit dry.

Had a temp spike when the water jacket ran dry which I think led to the meat being a bit on the dry side.

Next time, I'll start it in a foil pan... then cover the pan... 

Oh well, at least it tasted good... and it will be real good on a sandwich tomorrow during football!
Looks tasty!

You could also do it the same way as you just did, but foil it at 165˚ (instead of 170˚) with a little juice added. Then pull it at 195˚, instead of 190˚. Then wrap it in towels & put it in a dry cooler for an hour or two. That way you would still get the benefit of all the good smoke you get because it isn't in a pan, plus you would get a lot more moisture than this time, because it's covered for a longer time (after getting a lot of smoke). Also even gets more tender from the extra foiled time. Should still be able to slice at 195˚.

Also save the juice from the foil, separate it from the fat, and serve it on the side.

Just my suggestions,

Bear

Great picture in the foil! Nice color. Brisket seems to be my nemesis. Maybe one day I'll try it again. If I keep seeing pics like yours it might be sooner than later!

Looks tasty!

You could also do it the same way as you just did, but foil it at 165˚ (instead of 170˚) with a little juice added. Then pull it at 195˚, instead of 190˚. Then wrap it in towels & put it in a dry cooler for an hour or two. That way you would still get the benefit of all the good smoke you get because it isn't in a pan, plus you would get a lot more moisture than this time, because it's covered for a longer time (after getting a lot of smoke). Also even gets more tender from the extra foiled time. Should still be able to slice at 195˚.

Also save the juice from the foil, separate it from the fat, and serve it on the side.

Just my suggestions,

Bear

I'll definitely give this a try. thanks for the advice.

Great picture in the foil! Nice color. Brisket seems to be my nemesis. Maybe one day I'll try it again. If I keep seeing pics like yours it might be sooner than later!

I hear ya... I can smoke a turkey or ribs like nobodies business but the brisket is my unicorn. It's people like on this board that offer good advice and encouragement that make me want to keep trying. I'll get it eventually, getting closer every time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky