Another “FREE” Double Smoked Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No, you're fine. After rereading it. I can see that I was just confused.

I appreciate you saying that, but I still feel at fault, because there were 2 others who must have thought the same thing.

I'll figure it out, and I guess I'll have to make a change.

Bear

Man that looks good, really good. I'm in the mood for ham and that pic just made my craving worse. I love the leftovers, Ham & Eggs, and Ham Samaches

Like for sure

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Never had one before. Didn't even know you had to put a glaze on them!!??
Gotta go with Steve on this.......

Don

Thank You Don!!
You don't have to put a glaze on, but I like my glaze on them.
The last one I did, not long ago, I used the stuff that came in a packet with the Ham, and boy did it Suck!!! I'll never do that again.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear, that looks simply stunning!! Tracy regularly gets free hams from our HEB around the holidays. I believe all of the family will be coming down here from Wichita and KC for Thanksgiving dinner. Guess what I'll be cooking!! I just don't know if I'd do it on the BGE or the smoker.

Decisions, decisions,
Robert

Looks great Bear! I’m in the mood for ham now.

All my wife ever comes home from weis with is a discounted tank of gas, never hams or turkeys.

Bear, that looks simply stunning!! Tracy regularly gets free hams from our HEB around the holidays. I believe all of the family will be coming down here from Wichita and KC for Thanksgiving dinner. Guess what I'll be cooking!! I just don't know if I'd do it on the BGE or the smoker.

Decisions, decisions,
Robert

Thank You Robert!!
I would recommend your smoker, because you can probably keep it under 240° easier, but I'm not sure of that.
I don't like my Ham to get the hard surface you can get if the Smoker Temp is too high. 230° works Great for me. If you can hold 230° with your BGE, that would be fine.

I also like having 2 levels so I can put my Fat Basting Drip Pan above the Ham.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear, Nice job on the ham it looks delicious!

Thank You CM!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! I’m in the mood for ham now.

All my wife ever comes home from weis with is a discounted tank of gas, never hams or turkeys.

Thank You Xray!!
Our Weis doesn't have their own Gas Station, but our Giant does---We get gas reward points at Giant & Hams & Turkey Breasts at Weis.
I don't drive any more, so we only have to fill one 4 cylinder Cross-over anyway.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Just recently started smoking. Used your recipe for Thursday thanksgiving and the Friday in-laws. Thursday’s was delicious and Friday’s looks good but fixing to leave so have not eaten it yet. I just use a master built propane smoker. My temps match just about identical to bears until the 124 degree mark then they just flatten out. Fully cooked so I guess it’s no biggy. Took bout out after about 6 1/2 hours ... but temp up like bear did on first one ... had temp on second one between 230-250 ... still just flattened out for the last hour and a half at about 129. But they were both delicious!

Just recently started smoking. Used your recipe for Thursday thanksgiving and the Friday in-laws. Thursday’s was delicious and Friday’s looks good but fixing to leave so have not eaten it yet. I just use a master built propane smoker. My temps match just about identical to bears until the 124 degree mark then they just flatten out. Fully cooked so I guess it’s no biggy. Took bout out after about 6 1/2 hours ... but temp up like bear did on first one ... had temp on second one between 230-250 ... still just flattened out for the last hour and a half at about 129. But they were both delicious!

That's Great, Parched!!
I'm not sure what you mean by "flattened out", but if you mean you pulled that second one out at 129° internal, you should be fine. The Pre-cooked, Ready to eat Hams I get say to cook them to 130° or more, but I like them higher & take them to at least 145°.
So if your second one was 129°, and you enjoyed it, you should be good to go.
If there was another question there, let me know, and I'll give you my answer.

Bear

That's Great, Parched!!
I'm not sure what you mean by "flattened out", but if you mean you pulled that second one out at 129° internal, you should be fine. The Pre-cooked, Ready to eat Hams I get say to cook them to 130° or more, but I like them higher & take them to at least 145°.
So if your second one was 129°, and you enjoyed it, you should be good to go.
If there was another question there, let me know, and I'll give you my answer.

Bear
I just mean it was 127-129 degrees for the last hour and a half of the cook. But was delicious!

I just mean it was 127-129 degrees for the last hour and a half of the cook. But was delicious!

OK---Sounds Great to me!!
We had Turkey. I like Ham much better, but I gotta keep my Sodium low these days.
I only do a Ham when Mrs Bear gets a Free one, and then I give a lot of it to our Son.

Bear

5506A036-3A69-4DD2-B4BC-4F261756CB2E.jpeg

The 'ole bacon end drip trick? Man I'm gonna be on that little trick like a fat kid in a candy store. Looks like a really good glaze recipe as well. Thanks for sharing Bear. Another good looking meal.

That is absolutely beautiful! I've never done a spiral ham (have done some small hams), but I'm definitely going to have to try one. I never thought of using a tray up top to drip over the meat either.

One thing I was curious about, why did you put the ham on a rack in a pan as opposed to putting it on the rack in your smoker? Probably easier cleanup in smoker, my guess.

I did some cleaning out of my freezer and smoked a couple racks of ribs that had been there for almost 3 years. I try not to let anything stay there that long, but they were good regardless.

That is absolutely beautiful! I've never done a spiral ham (have done some small hams), but I'm definitely going to have to try one. I never thought of using a tray up top to drip over the meat either.

One thing I was curious about, why did you put the ham on a rack in a pan as opposed to putting it on the rack in your smoker? Probably easier cleanup in smoker, my guess.

I did some cleaning out of my freezer and smoked a couple racks of ribs that had been there for almost 3 years. I try not to let anything stay there that long, but they were good regardless.

Thank You Khrakk!!
Yup---I've been doing that a lot for clean-up ease purposes.---All of my Prime Ribs, Chicken, Ham---Darn near everything. As long as I put it on a Wire cooling rack, ir doesn't sit in the fatty drippings, and the Smoke still gets down underneath the meat.

I just thawed and put a small -3 pound Pork Loin in cure---Had it frozen since December of 2016.
Looks perfect!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky