1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Andouille Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by cajun_1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gumbo File' is just finely ground dried sassafrass leaves. Sassafrass grows pretty plentiful down here. It doesn't do anything for the taste and a lot of folks just add a sprinkle to their bowl to help thicken it up. I prefer to add a big dollop of rice myself.[​IMG]

2. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

MoHntr, From everything I have read, the "hog casing" can handle the smoke.

3. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

me too...

side note:

i was working in LaPlace,LA last year and was the first time i tried Andouille and have to say it is one of my favorite sausages

4. tsulcoski

tsulcoski Smoke Blower

Hi all

Been using hog casings for years with smoked sausages and kielbasa.
    I prefer to use a thinner casing when smoking. It helps keep the casing from being tough.

5. mohntr

mohntr Smoke Blower OTBS Member

If I use the hog casing, is it safe to hang them on a rod or should I lay them on a rack to smoke them?

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Legendary Pitmaster

Mhntr-

It doesn't really matter, but if you lay them down they gets stripes from the grill grates.

7. mohntr

mohntr Smoke Blower OTBS Member

Hmmm zebra links! :)

8. LaPlace is recognized as the "Andouille Capitol of the World" and has a big festival around the end of October each year.

Recipe I've seen recommends using Beef Middle casing. This may hold up better and will give the wider 1 1/2 inch diameter.

Grew up in the area and even once dated a girl who was crowned the Andouille Queen at the Festival's yearly pagent. :)

9. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i was suppose to work at that festival this year but i think i ended up in dallas texas instead...

i loved being there...it seemed like every other store had an Andouille Sausage sign..lol