And so it begins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm planning on going into the ground Thursday. Monday and Tuestday night are forecast to be right at freezing. If we get another freeze I will just cover.

First year I've used the fans for the entire growth, and I do think the plants have not gotten as tall and leggy this year. They're sort've a PITA , but I think its worth the investment.

20240325_061537.jpg

good luck on the cooler weather.

Our average date of last freeze is March 29th. But it seems we always have a late freeze before the end of April. It won't be a hard freeze though, it will be just below 32*. I've not seen anything under 28*.

I have 5 gallon buckets that do a good job of getting me through them. I also have row cover matierial if I need it.

But also, they don't do a lot till soil temps get over 60*. So it doesn't always help. I like to get them out of the house though, easier to take care of in the ground.

Lookin' good.

I have a ways to go. Last freeze day here is May 27.
Plants are just an inch to 3 inches high so far.

I was gonna go in the ground today, but rain yesterday may've made the garden too muddy. Depends on how fast it dries out.

But if not today, tomorrow and our 9 Day forecast looks good ............

Garden had dried out by noon. Got 24 plants in the ground. Weatherman is saying 37* next Tuesday night. Gonna sweat that it doesn't get any colder.

The plastic wrap is just to protect them from wind until they get established. We're gonna get 20 to 30 mph today with higher gusts.

People ask why I plant so many, and that's cause I never know what the weather will be like in May and June, which is my window for production. I raise them from seed, so why not.

When I tilled, I left a row of my winter cover, rye grass, for the rabbit that lives under my shed. He fed on the rye all winter. I would see him out there early every morning. Yeah, I've turned into an old softie. I left him enough to get through the rest of the winter, but that row is going to become peppers and cucumbers.

Next to the house is my cilantro bed that is currently bolting.

Next step is to rig the irrigation system and drive T-Posts beside the cages and fasten them with cable ties.

20240328_162551.jpg
20240328_162614.jpg
20240328_162637.jpg

If it's going below 50° at night still, I won't set tomato plants out in the garden. The cold night time temps stunt them.

We usually get some nights where it actually gets to freezing, or near to freezing until about the second week of May. I know a lot of folks who set their plants out earlier than I do and mine start bearing fruit about the same time as theirs.

Getting down to the final days before heading north for the summer. Picked up 2 Big Beef plants today at Wally World to bring home with my 6 Datil peppers. Watching the temps at home I won't be putting the ground until well after Mother's Days. I used to put in the ground at Mother's Day, but the past 10 years, I have barely made Memorial Day. What happened to global warming internet inventor?

Planted my 'maters yesterday evening....set up my automatic water system today. 10 minutes every 4 days.

Probably the most knowledgeable tomato gardener I've ever ran across, would not water her tomatoes any more than to keep them alive. She said it stressed them, and when they got stressed they put on more fruit. She also said if ya water too much, the tomatoes will be watery and it weakens the flavor. She passed away from cancer a couple years ago.

But I followed her advise and I think I did not water enough. I've always thought the blight was killing my plants but it could be they just did not get enough water. I'm gonna increase my watering a little this year.

I've got an irrigation set up, but don't use it till June. This time of year, we get " cold " fronts about every 5 days that cause storms and we get rain. We get plenty enough rain for them till June.

Stressed plants do set more seed (fruit) .... think survival by passing on their genes onto the next generation. That said, you will get a more consistent crop throughout the growing season, even in temps above 90° by giving them adequate water.

Also grow indeterminate tomato varieties for season long harvest. Indeterminates will continue to produce until frost where as determinates pretty much give you one big crop and are done.

Stressed plants do set more seed (fruit) .... think survival by passing on their genes onto the next generation. That said, you will get a more consistent crop throughout the growing season, even in temps above 90° by giving them adequate water.

Also grow indeterminate tomato varieties for season long harvest. Indeterminates will continue to produce until frost where as determinates pretty much give you one big crop and are done.

Exactly, the stressed plant is thinking survival.

But plants won't produce fruit when temps get above 90*. The heat causes blossom drop. Its a thing, google it.

I grow indeterminate plants, have for the past 20 years. The facts are, if the heat doesn't get them the blight will. My plants are done by the end of July.

And there's no cure for the blight. I know, there's heat treatment, blah blah blah, I've been through everything including mulching the entire garden since the blight is soil borne.

To beat the blight, just over whelm it with numbers of plants, harvest what you can.

On top of all that, if a plant does survive the summer here, the tomatoes it produces in the fall are small and take a long time to mature. Its really not worth the effort.

If this is a bit testy, well, I don't need to be schooled on tomatoes. I've been at this a long time. I'm no nooby. But , thanks anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky