And so it begins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Probably the most knowledgeable tomato gardener I've ever ran across, would not water her tomatoes any more than to keep them alive. She said it stressed them, and when they got stressed they put on more fruit. She also said if ya water too much, the tomatoes will be watery and it weakens the flavor. She passed away from cancer a couple years ago.

But I followed her advise and I think I did not water enough. I've always thought the blight was killing my plants but it could be they just did not get enough water. I'm gonna increase my watering a little this year.

I've got an irrigation set up, but don't use it till June. This time of year, we get " cold " fronts about every 5 days that cause storms and we get rain. We get plenty enough rain for them till June.
True....but you should not stress them so much that the leaves wilt. Stressed plants build a very deep and wide root base....looking for water. And it is that large root network that supports a large fruit yield. You should also bury 2/3 of the vine when you plant, then mount the dirt up at least two more times while also trimming low leaves that will be covered with new dirt. And pinch off all flowers during this time...let the plant concentrate on building roots. My tomato vines are always larger that a quarter in diameter when doing this. Usually 25+ pounds per vine....

True....but you should not stress them so much that the leaves wilt. Stressed plants build a very deep and wide root base....looking for water. And it is that large root network that supports a large fruit yield. You should also bury 2/3 of the vine when you plant, then mount the dirt up at least two more times while also trimming low leaves that will be covered with new dirt. And pinch off all flowers during this time...let the plant concentrate on building roots. My tomato vines are always larger that a quarter in diameter when doing this. Usually 25+ pounds per vine....

Well, I've done very well with my tomatoes for a lot of years. Where do you get the idea I stress them until they get leaf roll. You really have no idea what I do or how much I water my plants.

I know how to plant tomatoes. My Dad taught me that 40 years ago, but I sure appreciate your expert advise or troll, not sure which way you're going with this, that's about the only thing I'm not sure of.

As far as pinching flowers and pruning and all that bullchit, I went through that years ago. Doesn't matter.

But thanks for taking me to tomato school . I'm sure your credentials are outstanding. You must be the world's greatest tomato grower.

Play nice boys... they are only tomatoes. Don't want anyone's feelings getting hurt. Your way works, but that doesn't mean the others are wrong.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Where do you get the idea I stress them until they get leaf roll.

True....but you should not stress them so much that the leaves wilt.

You mis-read my post. I agree with you. I'm simply stating that a plant that does not have to grow roots to search for water will not produce like a plant that does, I am not challenging you on your experience growing tomatoes, don't take it personally. This is a discussion.

Reactions: JLeonard
I looked around here in town and only found the regular offerings - beefsteak, early girl, san marzano and a handfull of cherry tomato types. Did a search online and found that Veseys in PEI will ship without a large $ minimum order. I'll look around in the next town over when I go to pick up my son from his grandparents place.

Like you, the shipping will be more than the actual seeds themselves. C'est la vie
I'd recommend looking into the heat set varieties. I know it can get very warm there in Florida like here in Louisiana.

You have quite the scientific approach to getting your garden going!

I use a more messy approach... I just had an acre's worth of Milpa Garden seed arrive yesterday from Green Cover Seed. It is a fine mess of 40 different varieties of garden plants and flowers, gourds, etc. I plant these in long strips next to farm roads so I can just jump out of the Ranger, grab whatever, and be on my way.

Milpa Garden Seed Blend.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky