And More Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
First time doing these, and to boot it's the first serious cook on my MES 40 after finally completing the external smoke box mod, read about it Here. I saw some at the butcher the other day looking for something to cook and I said what the heck... I'm tired of hearing about these instead of doing them so off we go. They were labeled as Texas ribs and I don't wanna talk about the price per lb :emoji_astonished:

Trimmed them up best I could. The fat spot in the middle/right of the pic went almost to the bone so I just left it. I'll deal with that later when I'm stuffing my face. Salt, freshly ground 4 peppercorn mix and then onion and garlic powder.
20220501_101423.jpg

Side shot
20220501_101518.jpg

And for the initial real deal cook on this thing we're going with Knotty Wood 100% Plum pellets. I threw the ribs in about 1030 at 255 (that's what the Auber was set to so I just left it.) and I 'm crossing my fingers. I filled up the rest of the second row after this so I didn't hit them with the torch when lighting.
20220501_101600.jpg

The plan is to wrap in butcher paper at 165ish and go from there.
Thanks for looking and hopefully we'll have some killer ribs later today.

OK, lesson learned. I should have trimmed more of the fat. The pic doesn't do it justice but for the most part there is a nice bark other than the spots with all the rendering fat. This is at 165. They smell awesome, so the smoke box is working right. Wrapped in peach paper and back in the smoker til done. Will start probing in the high 190s.

20220501_130026.jpg

Reactions: negolien
They look good. And you aren't quite to fat rendering temp yet. You will end up with alot more fat loss so don't stress it

No stress yet, but my Monday alarm is 0300 so the stall better move on. Good thing is the smoker is getting seasoned with good stuff. It smelled like an ash tray when I got it so I cleaned it thoroughly. Gonna put some pimento cheese stuffed peppers together shortly to throw in there for an appetizer.

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
I was too beat last night to post any pics. They came out quite tasty! I'm calling it a success all the way around. The only thing I would change is going a bit heavier on the SPOG. I didn't get the pepper profile I like, but that's any easy fix for the next go round.

Made some poppers to go with cocktail hour . Harris Teeter makes some really good pimento cheese with jalapeno. A bit pricey, but I like it.
20220501_145102.jpg
20220501_145348.jpg
20220501_145925.jpg
20220501_171638.jpg

Started probing at 199 as they crept up while I wasn't paying attention. Felt good at about 202 so I pulled them. This is after resting in the cooler for about an hour... man that was along wait.

20220501_180943.jpg

Sliced... looking good.

20220501_181052.jpg

Some green stuff to go with the important stuff. Believe it or not there's a pile of salad behind that rib.

20220501_181851.jpg

Again, thanks for looking. I'll do these again, but might just wait till I can catch them at a better price point. I'm impressed with the MES... although this was not it's intended use. I want to learn how to make smoked sausages... things like Kielbasa and such. I'm just slow to start. Heck I've been screwing with the MES since I don't remember. Anyway, happy Monday!

I was too beat last night to post any pics. They came out quite tasty! I'm calling it a success all the way around. The only thing I would change is going a bit heavier on the SPOG. I didn't get the pepper profile I like, but that's any easy fix for the next go round.

Made some poppers to go with cocktail hour . Harris Teeter makes some really good pimento cheese with jalapeno. A bit pricey, but I like it.
View attachment 630816View attachment 630817View attachment 630818View attachment 630819

Started probing at 199 as they crept up while I wasn't paying attention. Felt good at about 202 so I pulled them. This is after resting in the cooler for about an hour... man that was along wait.

View attachment 630820

Sliced... looking good.

View attachment 630821

Some green stuff to go with the important stuff. Believe it or not there's a pile of salad behind that rib.

View attachment 630822

Again, thanks for looking. I'll do these again, but might just wait till I can catch them at a better price point. I'm impressed with the MES... although this was not it's intended use. I want to learn how to make smoked sausages... things like Kielbasa and such. I'm just slow to start. Heck I've been screwing with the MES since I don't remember. Anyway, happy Monday!
Dang nice toothy bones there. Nice job. That’s a nice meal for sure. Nice work.

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky