AMPS question

Discussion in 'Smoke Houses' started by johnb5, Nov 4, 2014.

1. johnb5

johnb5 Fire Starter

I am building a smoke house about 4x4x6. I am going to use a propane burner for a heat source. Will the AMPS provide enough smoke in an area of this size? I sure don't want to over smoke my sausage and such but I don't want to underscore it either. Thanks for your input.

2. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's a pretty big space, but just as a pure guess, I'd say you may be okay with a 5x8 AMNPS. Maybe better if you lit both ends.

3. They say it will fill a barrel with smoke. Since I have a UDS I know that it will do that. I have on occasions lite both ends. It will only burn half as long. You could always use 2 if needed. Or you could call Todd at Amazen Products.

Happy smoken.

David

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would go with the Amazing Tube Smoker.  It puts out too much smoke for my MES. IMHO

I use the AMNPS in my MES & it's perfect for me, but I think the Tube Smoker would be perfect for your smoke house!!

Bear

5. johnb5

johnb5 Fire Starter

Ok guys. Thanks for the help. How could I use chips or chucks with a propane burner? I mean how would I get smoke instead of just torched wood

6. johnb5

johnb5 Fire Starter

Thanks Bear

7. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Using a propane burner, the smoke HAS to enter ABOVE the flame or the flame will consume the smoke....

Bear is spot on..... use the AMNTS..... tube smoker...... get the big/long one.... 18" I believe....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. Some use a cast iron pan with chips or chunks. You would still have to add chips and chunks so I would keep thinking a AMNPS or as Bear said a AMNTS

Happy smoken.

David

9. goliath

goliath Smoking Fanatic

i have a coldspot freezer conversion and used 2 amnps in a mailbox mod setup. worked great. i am always tweeking and have now gone to a AMNPT. loads of smoke. i actually fill it 1/2 way up full length. PLUS i welded 2 together for longer smokes. could only get the 12" here in canada and shipping from the states costs about the same as the unit SOOOOOO i improvised. the bonus of the tube smoker is it can also be used in your grill.

Goliath

10. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have both the 12" and 18" AMNTPS. Either will be just fine for the size of your smoker.