Amesphos question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Making some Red barn summer sausage and was going to use Amesphos. Is it all right to mix in and let set overnight or does that need to be smoked/cooked shortly after the stuffing? I won't get a chance to smoke until tomorrow (pending rain foercast) so if can't leave, I will use NFDM.

This specifically
IMG_20211026_132342.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty knowledgeable of STPP but have not used it in sausages yet but do not recall any special requirements like that. My vote is you are safe to rest overnight.

I've used AmesPhos in sausage with Cure #1 that I stuffed into hog casing. I generally grind and mix ingredients one day, and stuff the next day, let dry and smoke. I would assume there is no difference when making summer sausage. Also, I add AmesPhos to my daveomak daveomak injectable ham cure, and the meat is bagged for 2-weeks before smoking.

Phosphates don't dissolve well in the presence of salt. So, dissolve sodium phosphate in cold water and mix it into the meat first. Mix very well, then add your other ingredients.

Yep. They got you covered. You can rest overnight after adding phosphates. Amesphos will dissolve in cold water, but for those using STPP, it does not dissolve well in cold water. Best to use warm water about 100*F. Dissolve STPP in water then add some ice to cool down to add to meat paste.

Retains moisture so the sausage is juicy.
Phosphates will also raise the pH of the meat paste and act as a buffer. I know STPP has a pH of 9-10 and SMHP has a pH around 8-9. Not sure what the pH of Amesphos is though.
I can get STPP easily available from a local butcher supply house. 5# for $12 bucks. So that is what I use.

Making some Red barn summer sausage and was going to use Amesphos. Is it all right to mix in and let set overnight
If you mix it and stuff it then let it set overnight you're fine.
Mixing and hoping to stuff the next day might be problematic as the phosphates tend too bind the meat making it unstuffable without adding water and more mixing.
At least that was my one time experience.

Reactions: Winterrider
If you mix it and stuff it then let it set overnight you're fine.
Mixing and hoping to stuff the next day might be problematic as the phosphates tend too bind the meat making it unstuffable without adding water and more mixing.
At least that was my one time experience.
When I have done it, I mix salt, seasoning, and phosphate into coarse grind thru 12 or 16mm plate, then the next day grind fine, mix for protein extraction then stuff.

Yep. They got you covered. You can rest overnight after adding phosphates. Amesphos will dissolve in cold water, but for those using STPP, it does not dissolve well in cold water. Best to use warm water about 100*F. Dissolve STPP in water then add some ice to cool down to add to meat paste.
So is amesphos and sttp the same thing basically or do the same thing? I'm sure I've heard or seen the answer before but have forgotten.

Ryan

So is amesphos and sttp the same thing basically or do the same thing? I'm sure I've heard or seen the answer before but have forgotten.

Ryan
Food grade phosphates are graded on their water holding capacity. Amesphos is the highest. STPP is a little lower, but works very well.

i use this
on amazon
  • Locks in juices in meat or seafood
  • Use in sausage making, competition BBQ, or at home
  • Premium European Blend of food grade phosphates
  • Increases yield by as much as 10%
  • Dissolves easily; remains stable over a wide pH/temperature range
    phos.jpg

use to brine or inject or mix in sticks or sausage.. if ya use it try brining one pork chop n not the other grill n check it out..

Ryan
Food grade phosphates are graded on their water holding capacity. Amesphos is the highest. STPP is a little lower, but works very well.

Just in case some have not made the connection.... Joe Ames was the guy behind the FAB line of competition BBQ injections. They were among the early injection mixes that utilized phosphates, MSG, some soy products an other spices. Fab-B was the first commercial beef injection I tried out, and I think it's safe to say that it was an influence on the numerous injections on the market today. I don't remember when AmesPhos came on the scene, but The Ingredient Store has a good write-up explaining it usage, and lists the range of amounts that can be used. In their early years, you could email or call with questions and Joe would be the guy that would answer them.

Ph’s aside they are all basically the same and do not readily mix with salts in powder form. This is what I use.
304383AF-D074-43F0-A999-DDD39C1E1C5D.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky