America's Birthday Cake!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lautay

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2010
Brisket!

9 lb flat
SPOG
14.5 hours on PB
Competition blend pellets
Additional smoke tube used
No wrap
2 hour rest in faux cambro.

Wanted to do a true old school brisket (yeah, I know, not really old school on a pellet smoker, but anyway...), meaning no wrap. Once I closed the lid, I didn't open it until removal time. Wanted to see what no wrap would be. Was just gonna use S&P, but I can resist a sprinkle of O&G!
Anyway, it's resting now. We'll see!

Attachments

• Resized_20220704_152408.jpeg
    Resized_20220704_152408.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 17
Dang, that looks swell. Two decades ago, many of the Eggheads would put a brisket on, and NEVER open the dome for 12 or 14 hours. Being an 'old baster' (actually a spray bottle man), I never had that much conviction. Maybe 4 or 5 hours without peeking was my record. :emoji_nerd: Please check back in and tell us how it was.

OK, the "rest" happened, then the carve and feast. My thoughts on the unwrapped version was that it was a bit drier than I am accustomed to, but was exactly what was expected. It wasn't jerky and the bark and flavor were outstanding!
For all of the arguments I've read, I think I decided that it'll be between butcher paper and naked, depending on who my audience is and how lazy I feel. If just my wife and I, naked wins (insert joke here). For a crowd, I'll give them more of what they expect by wrapping.

Next experiment will be the "hot" method...

Looks awesome to me! Look forward to the hot and fast one!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky