• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

American rubs in the UK

popeye_ali

Joined May 8, 2021
Hi all

In the UK we can get many of the American rubs but the costs are an awful lot more.
This is obviously a very open question but I am interested to hear opinions on rubs and stuff like rib candy’s that you would happily buy if in the UK of having to pay twice as much as you do now.
Cheers

Popeye

Last edited:

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I make my own rub for my stuff 99% of the time. There are a couple I buy cheaply from a local pit master / restaurant. Overall I’m too stingy to buy rubs and I also am sugar free which really limits the commercial rubs I’d use. There are so many great recipes online you can find just about anything.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
I have tried a few award winning/expensive/secret/magic rubs and was not impressed. Jeff's rubs and sauce recipes are a must to own and you can learn to build your own from them. IE I substitute chili powder for the paprika. WRT Rib Candy. Looks close to what I do, simply cut sauce with jelly. I use apple. All this being said, I could pretty much smoke anything with equal parts SPG and be happy.

PinkOstrich

Joined May 7, 2021
At the end of the day, rubs are a blend of spices and a lot of rubs are very similar. I've not yet bought an off the shelf rub, I prefer to blend my own and experiment. The basic components always tend to be quite similar... Sea salt, black pepper and a sugar as a base, after that it's often paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, a chilli powder of some type and maybe celery salt or oregano.

It's worth playing around and trying a few things.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 12, 2017
On meat I use only
SPG (salt/pepper/garlic).....topped with Tuborg beer and once done with my meal I simply rub my belly...

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.