Amazn with kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
have kamado joe, big joe smoker. Have been quite happy with it. my amazn should be delivered in the next few days. Has anyone used theirs in a kamado? Any hints, tips, tricks I should be aware of?
Thanks

have kamado joe, big joe smoker. Have been quite happy with it. my amazn should be delivered in the next few days. Has anyone used theirs in a kamado? Any hints, tips, tricks I should be aware of?
Thanks

I have a kamado joe big joe. I’ve never used a tube in it and I’d probably just stick with wood chunks unless you wanted to cold smoke. I mean you can use a tube in it but most people that use tubes are either cold smoking, have a propane smoker, or have an electric smoker. You should get excellent smoke time with charcoal smokers just using chunks. If you need more smoke flavor just add more chunks.

I also want to add that smoke tubes require plenty of oxygen to stay lit. A kamado requires very little oxygen to maintain low and slow so you may have issue keeping it lit. I’m not really sure of the best place to place it to maximize oxygen availability. Maybe inside the intake where the ash tray is? If you place it on the deflector you may not get enough oxygen and the drippings may kill the smoldering pellets in the tube.

You shouldn't need a tube in a kamado unless your cold smoking. It's a charcoal smoker/grill, all you need is wood chunks. Like we do with our Kettles and WSM's.

Chris.

I should have more clear. It is in fact for cold smoking. I’m wanting to make lox as expermenting with veal and turkey bacon.

I should have more clear. It is in fact for cold smoking. I’m wanting to make lox as expermenting with veal and turkey bacon.

You will just have to find a way to make sure it stays lit. I’d keep the intake open all the way to insure max oxygen availability and put on the deflector plate. You won’t have to worry about drippings for cold smoking obviously.

I ordered the “tray” vs. the tube. I thought it would be more oxygen “ friendly”

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky