Amateur Smoke Off: Thinkin About Havin One... The First One

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
I got together with another smoker here and we thought we'd have an amateur smoke contest. 

Neither one of use has ever done anything like this. 

Can ya help me get started here as to how -everything- should be done?

--ray--

Quote: 

I got together with another smoker here and we thought we'd have an amateur smoke contest.

--ray--

I was just getting ready to type a large dissertation on Meat and Wood selection and the need to maintain smoker temps at 225*F, the Minnion method and so on. All the things a Newb would need to Smoke in an Amateur Competition...Then I went back and caught sight of your Badges!     Premier and OTBS Member...Started Cracking Up! 
ROTF.gif
 ...JJ

Last edited:
Quote: 

--ray--

I was just getting ready to type a large dissertation on Meat and Wood selection and the need to maintain smoker temps at 225*F, the Minnion method and so on. All the things a Newb would need to Smoke in an Amateur Competition...Then I went back and caught sight of your Badges!     Premier and OTBS Member...Started Cracking Up! 
ROTF.gif
 ...JJ

The help he is seeking is not smoking style/process , but setting up a contest

Rules
Prizes
Timing
Judges

Ross

Comments:

Amatuer may not be able to deliver consistent results at different locations due to heat/ humidity,different spices,meats,and smoking unit .. So no need to gather as failure would rule

Costs related to travel are a very limiting factor ..

May come down to q-view and recipe or .......

Form members (most) will not read 10+ recipe submissions let alone 100's to vote .. So it would be up to a committee to put up the best 5 or 10 in any category

Rubs etc could be easily mixed at one location best 10 ( as rated by judges/and voted on by form members ) . These rubs could be tested on 10 identical pieces of meat , smoked under similar conditions and then judged this would require judges to invite the best 10 to submit the spices.

Similar situation with sausage .. Best 10 as picked submit spices for 2oz of pork .. Each sausage prepared smoked at same time and winner selected.

Logistical nightmare for anything more than this .. Winner will get to hold the crown for a year and second season will be better ..

Would need support of at least 10 to 20 people in one area .. Or smaller groups if split up by criteria ...

Just thoughts ..

The help he is seeking is not smoking style/process , but setting up a contest
Rules
Prizes
Timing
Judges
Ross
 That was the funny part! I realized that once I went back. Just goes to show how a quick response could make you look silly...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky