Am I missing something

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

torp3t3d0

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Oakton, Virginia
Went to reorder pellets from A-MAZE-N- products......cost of pellets ~$11.98 for 2 bags...cost of shipping $10.76.....I guess I'll look local for pellets from now on.....that doubles the price of the pellets!!!
Pete

Howdy Pete . Todd advertises regularly here. Often the ads include extra discounts and or free shipping. That’s when I load up on dust and pellets.

I think Todd has free shipping with orders of a certain amount.

Chris

Not missing a beat Pete!UPS ground 3day retail rate for 5# package from Eagan,Mi 55122 to Oakton,Va 22124 $13.75
Business rate would be what you stated.

I looks at it this way... Todd is a member here... American owned and operated...
I buy at least $50 at a time... maybe only every 2 years or so.. I can get a variety of flavors....
from $2.60/# to $1.30/#.... Free shipping over $49...
I use 4-6 oz. per smoke and usually ~20#'s of meat per smoke.... so 40#'s of pellets gives me 120 smokers of smoke..
That translates to ~$1 to $0.50 per smoke and at 20#'s of meat, 2.5 to 5 cents per pound for Todd's pellets..
A small price to pay for supporting a long time member in an American business.. I guess I'm weird that way..

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 20LB

Standard BBQ Pellet Flavors:
  • Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend

Sale Price: $24.99

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS SPECIALTY - 20LB
Specialty BBQ Pellet Flavors:
  • Alder
  • Apple
  • Mesquite
  • Pecan

Sale Price: $29.99

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS SPECIALTY - 5LB

• Alder
  • Apple
  • Chili Pepper Spice
  • Italian Spice - Rosemary, Thyme, Basil
  • Mesquite
  • Pecan

Sale Price: $14.99

A-MAZE-N PELLETS STANDARD - 5LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmasters Choice - Cherry, Hickory, Maple

Sale Price: $12.99

Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

........ Buy American .....

American flag 1.jpg

I looks at it this way... Todd is a member here... American owned and operated...
I buy at least $50 at a time... maybe only every 2 years or so.. I can get a variety of flavors....
from $2.60/# to $1.30/#.... Free shipping over $49...
I use 4-6 oz. per smoke and usually ~20#'s of meat per smoke.... so 40#'s of pellets gives me 120 smokers of smoke..
That translates to ~$1 to $0.50 per smoke and at 20#'s of meat, 2.5 to 5 cents per pound for Todd's pellets..
A small price to pay for supporting a long time member in an American business.. I guess I'm weird that way..

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS STANDARD - 20LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak
  • Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend

Sale Price: $24.99

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS SPECIALTY - 20LB
  • Alder
  • Apple
  • Mesquite
  • Pecan

Sale Price: $29.99

A-MAZE-N-PELLETS SPECIALTY - 5LB

• Alder
  • Apple
  • Chili Pepper Spice
  • Mesquite
  • Pecan

Sale Price: $14.99

A-MAZE-N PELLETS STANDARD - 5LB

• Cherry
  • Hickory
  • Maple
  • Oak

Sale Price: $12.99

Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif

........ Buy American .....

View attachment 349714
Amen Dave! Need any Architectural Hardware? ;)

When I first got my AMNPS I looked at all the options for pellets, and read lots of posts in this forum.

Bottom line: buy from Todd.

Why?

1. The cost of shipping, even when you buy small amounts, is less than it costs to drive a car to the mall to buy pellets there. AAA figures that total cost per mile is $0.50 to $0.75, depending on size of car, insurance, depreciation, gas prices, etc. I'm in the boonies, so it is 35 miles, round trip, to the big mall. That's about $14, total cost. We're at $4/gallon here in CA, so that's over $5 just in fuel costs! Yes, I can wait until I have other things to get, but if I can wait, I can wait until Todd has a sale.

2. The cost of shipping from Todd is nothing (i.e., zero) if you buy $50 or more, which is not a lot of product.

3. Todd's pellets taste better than the heating (Traeger) pellets you often find in the local store. Smoking is all about flavor, and if you compromise on flavor, you shouldn't be smoking. There are dozens of posts you can find in this forum which discuss what is actually in the pellets you buy from various different sources. You can also do your own tests. It is pretty obvious that some pellets are not very good.

Todd's pellets are top-notch.

4. Todd provides amazing service, and is a major part of this wonderful site. Even if I spend $5-10 more per year buying from Todd (which I don't), that is nothing compared to what I get in return.

5. As already mentioned, Todd has LOTS of discounts and sales. Stock up when you see those.

6. Todd has LOTS of variety to choose from, whereas most stores only stock hickory and one other wood. I can therefore get what I want when I order from Todd, rather than simply what the local retailer chooses to stock.

Here is Todd's list of pellets. Can you find ALL of these at any local store?
  • Alder
  • Apple
  • Black Walnut
  • Cherry
  • Chili Pepper Spice
  • Corn Cob
  • Hickory
  • Jack Daniel's ©
  • Maple
  • Mesquite
  • Mulberry
  • Oak
  • Orange
  • Pecan
  • Sassafras
  • Savory Herb
  • Sugar Maple
I am all for saving money, but I'm old enough now to realize that saving $7.50 on shipping is not going to make any difference whatsoever on whether I can eat my next meal or buy the next thing I need. Put another way, at this age I have learned to be "pound wise" and not care one little bit if I am occasionally "penny foolish."

Reactions: bdskelly
LOL. Pete.. As you can see we are a group that is passionate about Todd and his product. His company supports this site with paid advertising and he runs an occasional contest on here giving away free goodies. He’s as straight a shooter as they come.
By the way he’s has good prices on Maverick thermos and extra replacement probes too!

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Was aware of the free shipping and such....I also buy mostly from small businesses....just wanted to try cold smoking with maple wood so I did not need to order a lot......was just taken back by the shipping costs.......so please don’t come and burn my house down....

BTW, I do a lot of shipping, and costs have skyrocketed in the past few years. Just five minutes ago I put the postage on a single DVD in a padded envelope: $2.76 for 2.6 ounces. Once you get to things like pellets that weight 5, 10, 20, or more pounds, shipping costs get up to $20 in a hurry. In fact, a large flat rate box, which is probably the cheapest way to ship dense, heavy items like pellets is about $18 for a box that would hold a couple of five pound bags.

Take a look about halfway down on this page to get some idea of current retail shipping prices:

Compare Shipping Rates

So, actually, Todd's shipping prices are an absolute steal.

And no one is threatening your house. Instead, we're just trying to point out that Todd's shipping is actually quite common. Even if you buy most of your stuff from Amazon using Prime (supposedly free shipping), you'll find that the price is higher than the non prime price by roughly the shipping cost. What's more, to save money, a lot of firms are using really cheesy packaging in order to keep their shipping costs as low as possible.

If you have Amazon prime, you can get some pellets there. I had to in order to capitalize on having them prior to the holidays along with my AMNPS.

While I agree with everything that has been said above me, I would also like to add my recent experience. On the 20th or 21st I ordered an AMNPS and Amaz-n pellets to have them for a first smoke for the holiday weekend. The postman delivered them on Friday the 22nd and upon inspection, found that the lighting holes had been put on the corners at the turn instead of the end. So, I checked the Amaze-n website and gave a ring. Lo and behold, someone real and speaking plain English answered the phone! No prompts, machines, or anything! Upon telling that I had ordered through Amazon and explaining the defect, the woman began apologizing and then went on to tell me that she had just been getting things ready to take to the post office and that she'd get a replacement out to me as well. She apologized again for the error and apologized that she didn't think the post would make it to NY in time for the holiday.

Beyond this she explained that they work with a program to employ the handicapped and that while almost everyone they have is wonderful, that occasionally they have some minor slip ups that get missed. Such as the case here.

With how most businesses are nowadays, and for foreign made products at that, this was a phenomenal experience. They have earned my business, even if the pellets double in cost. Not that I'm in much of a position to spend money right now, I'm thinking the AMNPS or pellets will be a good way to pay it forward.

Just a suggestion - watch for someone doing a group order for Lumberjack pellets in your area. 20 pound bags cost about $5 each, plus whatever freight is (about $2.50/bag to California). Most group buys will let you buy one bag or a hundred at the same price. I know one group that splits bags for amazen use (5 guys buy 5 flavors and each gets 1/5 bag of each flavor). I think the company that makes lumberjacks still makes for Amazen (or at least they used to).

Not trying to take anything away from Todd or Amazen - great guy and a good company.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Went to reorder pellets from A-MAZE-N- products......cost of pellets ~$11.98 for 2 bags...cost of shipping $10.76.....I guess I'll look local for pellets from now on.....that doubles the price of the pellets!!!
Pete

You can get a good deal on pellets at Walmart.

B&B, Better Burning Brand.

They come in 20 pound bags.

Have a bag of hickory, a bag of apple.

Very pleased with them.

I think they ran around $11.00 a bag if memory serves me.

Great deal.

Pete

Quick search - a few more options for you... keep some of your hard earned money in your wallet-

Home Depot Traeger Hickory Pellets 20 lb $18.99
Sam's Club Smoke Hollow BBQ Blend 20 lb $18.49
Lowes Pit Boss Hardwood BBQ Pellets 40 lb $29.99
Walmart Camp Chef Cherry Hardwood Pellets 20 lb $16.99

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky