Am I going to be ok, need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeykris

Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Arvada, CO
I am at my sisters house and I decided to get an early start on the bbq (1am).  Around 4ish I fell asleep and the sprinklers lowered my smoker temp to 100.  I took the meat out of the smoker and put it in the oven at 250.  When the pork butt hit 160, I wrapped it in foil.  Will the pork butt turn out ok?

I am at my sisters house and I decided to get an early start on the bbq (1am).  Around 4ish I fell asleep and the sprinklers lowered my smoker temp to 100.  I took the meat out of the smoker and put it in the oven at 250.  When the pork butt hit 160, I wrapped it in foil.  Will the pork butt turn out ok?
Any idea what the meat temp was when you moved it and how long the temp had dropped?  My guess is that you should be OK -

Based on what you have posted you made it out of the danger zone in under 4 hours so you should be OK.

If you want to get some more smoke on it I would throw it back in once your temp comes back up in the smoker. Good luck with this  

I don't see enough information to tell you one way or the other yet

You say you started the smoke around 1a.m.

You say you fell asleep around 4a.m. WHAT WAS THE MEAT TEMP THEN?

What time did you wake up and put the meat into the oven?

You said after an hour in the oven the temps was above 140?

Did you have a temp probe in the meat from the start?

How long was the total time from the time you put it in and the time it passed the 140 mark?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky