Am I Crazy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bignick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Southaven, MS
I chimed in here about a week ago to give an intro. To refresh your memory, I was given a used Chargrill H2O smoker, which is my first. I love grilling but have never smoked before. (Meat that is). I have been reading this site and I just want to say thanks to everyone for the great wealth of information! I have learned a few tricks. I have made a few mods, as you all suggested, to my newly inherited smoker. I haven't been able to fire it up yet, but I plan on doing so next weekend.

I have decided to try some BB ribs on my first smoke. I will use the 3-2-1 method (or maybe 2-2-1 as Jeff suggests for BB's.) Any opinions here?

I also have plans to visit 'The Charcoal Store' here in Memphis, which I have been told carries lump and all sorts of woods for smoking. They supply numerous competition teams, (Memphis in May ring a bell to anyone here?), Q staples such as Cozy Corner, A & R, Bar-B-Que Shop, Rendezvous, Tops, Payne's (Memphis is not short of good Q places)....I am excited to see what they have to offer!

Also, How would you suggest running the thermo wires out? The lid fits quite snuggly, and it seems like the wires will get pinched or damaged over time. (I haven't actually purchased the thermo yet, so I haven't gotten to play with it.)

After reading the sticky from Meowy about pulled pork and seeing picks, I kid you not, I have had a recurring dream of actually smoking a butt! Am I losing it?

I find myself on here daily trying to learn something new. MAN, I'VE GOTTA FIRE THAT THING UP SOON!!

Thanks, Nick

Yes, you have lost it! Of course most people wait until they smoke something before losing it!!

you can use some rolled up alum. foil to lift the lid abit

there was a thread months back, bout someone using a od threaded conduit thingy-bobby.......for lack of the werd i can't remember.......lolol

you drill a hole, place this in it.......and run your wires thru it.......its weather proofed...........

hope someone will be along to clarify what i have trying to describe

Howdy again Nick-ya they drilld a hole in the body up hi.so when u take the lid off it don't hamper it-memphis in may?(isn't that when the wildflowers are in bloom?) of course we have heard of it!get yourself some coal & some wood for smoking and jump in-the water is fine-and ya do your 2-2-1 bb-or a pulled pork-gotta get started 1 day-why not tomarrow?-good luck.

plus......with bb's.......several folks here don't mess with the 3-2-1 or the 2-2-1.........don't need too......but you need to get your feet wet........we can give you advice all day long........and you can read this whole forum from front to back......but nutting better than OTJ training.......hands on.......that way, you may find a better way to do whatever to your tastes.........to me........for the first time.......i would do a butt......that way you get a feel for your smoker.........and the meat......its hard to mess up a butt.......plus they are cheap enuff........would hate to see you buy a pricey peice of meat like bb's and mess em up..........turn em into burnt ends.......get discouraged, and walk away from your smoker.........
baby steps dude.........baby steps.............we ALL have done it that way......least the ones that have stuck around.........heheheeh

but what ever happens.........we will be here to help out.......just ask the questions............

Thanks, guys! The only reason I didn't want to do a butt first is for time reasons, and I am thinking that keeping my temps right for that amount of time would be quite a challenge. That is what I am the most nervous about is regulating the temp and keeping it ideal for a long time. But, I agree, there is only one way to find out! I can't do tomorrow, going to church then to watch the Memphis-Texas game with some buds, then I have a soccer game. No time for smoking, but next weekend has SMOKE MEAT on my calandar!

locate yourself a small boston butt........bout 4 lbs.............will take you bout 6 hours........not much longer than ribs.......but you DO have to remember......we cook by temps........NOT times..........so you need a to have a good digi thermo........with a wire probe hopefully, to better keep a eye on the meat...........a ET-73 is even better......one probe for the meat and one for the smoker temps........don't go by the thermo in the smoker..........bout 99.9% of the time, if will be off.......sometimes as much as 100 degrees...........make yourself some EXCELLANT pulled pork sandwiches..........or don't take it so high as 200.........maybe take it to 170 and slice it...........with some nice pork gravy........

I'm with WD ..... get yourself a boston butt, follow meowys post on basic pulled pork. I did my first boston butt that way and was the best pork i have ever smoked.

Listen to WD about cooking to temp. Edit - Listen to WD

If you are really not sure of how to regulate the temp do a dry run the day before without any meat in just to see how the smoker runs.

Good luck .... jump on in
icon_smile.gif

I'll go along with WD on this one. The fitting you are lookin for to run the thermo wires through is called a "water tight fitting" they are available in your electrical department of any home do it yourself store or hardware store. About $2 and some change, you will also need an additional nut for the fitting, they should have those there as well. This works really well and saves the thermo wires from gettin pinched in the door.

Just jump in and start smokin. You will only learn through tryin. Remember, there is not such thing as bad Q! There is good q, better q and really good q!

Good luck!

Walkin dead, I mean dude is right on!
icon_evil.gif
hehehe, sorry, Dude, I had to. If you want to get to know your smoker, but only have a few hrs, do a fatty. They are pretty forgiving, and not alot to loose if ya mes it up. or a meatloaf!

You are in great company here, we won't let ya fail!
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

You can get some shrink wrap and place it on the probe cable where you close the door. That way it's always ready.

All have given real good advice on ribs or butt.

Just smoke anything and have fun. That's what it's all about.

geob

WD and the others have gave you good advice...

Fatty possibilities are endless... put nothin or anything in them... your imagination is the only limiting factor...

I have been cooking over a flame for years but smoking meat is a whole new ball game. I have found the info has been tops. Also working with my smoker has been an learning tool. I have found out that to much wood give my meat a bad flavor but cooking low and slow with some foil is killer.
It is raining outside now but I have a tent so I can smoke a turkey in the a.m. I love smoking food. Goog Luck
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky