Aluminum vs Steel Baffle plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noshuz

Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Hey Everybody,

I'm a rookie at this art of smoking and won't even have my OJ Highland for another week. I've read and watched pretty much all of the info for the mods that need to be done so I know what i need to do to get this unit up to full potential. As far as the baffle plate, I have access to a metal fab shop and can get aluminum for very reasonable price or maybe free. I have read that aluminum is not as good of heat conductor as steel. I was thinking of fabricating one out of 1/8" or .080 aluminum. We don't stock any sheet metal but I can get it if need be. Have any of you tried this? If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks!

Aluminum begins to melt at ~1200 degrees.  I'm not sure how the smoker you ordered works, but I do know that my firebox on my wood burner gets over that temp at times on the exterior.

Also, as you stated, aluminum isn't good at holding heat and actually help dissipate heat quite effectively.

I'd go with carbon steel or stainless.  It'll last a LONG time and will only hurt once when you pay for it.

Scrape 1/4" steel shouldn't be that expensive or if your planning on keeping the smoker for awhile just get the convection plate from horizon.

steel all the way. Mine in my small pit 3\16" with adjustable vents (tuning plate), my large trailer pit the baffle flue is 1\4" thick (reverse flow).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll let ya know how it all plays out! 
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky