Alton Brown's "Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Gravy"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
This is the best Turkey-Day gravy I have come across, and have been using it for the past few years. The stock is made the day before, but when added to the pan drippings from your T-Day turkey, it basically gives the gravy a double concentration of flavor. In fact, it's so good that I've been known to pour some in a mug and drink it like soup.

Alton Brown's Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Gravy

I make a similar stock from the Roasted Veg, Spine, Wings and Giblets of the Turkey. I'll have to try adding Miso this year...JJ

Sounds like my kind of soup, or I mean gravy lol! Thanks for sharing! And guess I'm not the only one who really loves gravy.

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
🤣Oh man, I’m trying to picture the look on my families face as I walk around with a mug of gravy in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other. Thank you for the laugh and recipe! I’ll definitely give it a go! Try this for Turkey Day!
1634323985698.png

Sounds like my kind of soup, or I mean gravy lol! Thanks for sharing! And guess I'm not the only one who really loves gravy.

Come on now Ryan, you know you're not the only one who loves gravy :emoji_wink:

Gravy is a food group unto its self.....Right?

You're absolutely correct!! So is beer-and-pizza (that's one food) but if it came down to brass tacks and I had to give up one or the other, the pizza would have to go, but not the beer, oh no, not the beer. Gravy is a huge staple for us around here and I make it frequently.

Robert

Oh yea GRAVY IS A THING, I think I need therapy for my thanksgiving gravy prep and making....I make about a gallon of stock (French technique from a whole turkey) the day before, then do what JJ said the day of, then used the smoked bones that day of after the first meal to blend all three to make 2day/2Turkey Smoked Gravy! This goes over thigh meat & toast, or sliced breast meat, mushrooms, egg noodles, topped with seasoned bread crumbs.....oh and you can add some creme fraiche in it to make it creamy.......OK...I think I need a drink, getting out of control......

I have had Gravy that was so good. I did pour it in a cup and drink it. Love to put it in a thermos when it's single digit temps in the the winter if I'm going to be outside.

thats NEVER happened at our house........oh and I have a good deal on a bridge for ya to......lol

I give up nothing! Ok, well maybe you can have my bowl of cheerios... somebody probably just gonna pee in them anyway... but nothing else! Lol

Ryan

Chef's are all taught the same method to test Gravy and Sauces. Dip a Spoon and run your finger across the back to make a path through the Gravy. If the Gravy does not run back together, you are Golden. There are various thicknesses depending on the type of sauce, but above is good for Gravy, Bechamel, Cheese Sauces and such. Remember... Gravy will get thicker as it cools on the food and plate. Make your gravy a bit thinner than you want it to be, once poured all over the meat and taters...JJ

Chef's are all taught the same method to test Gravy and Sauces. Dip a Spoon and run your finger across the back to make a path through the Gravy. If the Gravy does not run back together, you are Golden. There are various thicknesses depending on the type of sauce, but above is good for Gravy, Bechamel, Cheese Sauces and such. Remember... Gravy will get thicker as it cools on the food and plate. Make your gravy a bit thinner than you want it to be, once poured all over the meat and taters...JJ
Absolutely. And dang glad to have you back, Chef JJ! (Don't scare us like that again, please.)

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks,
We will definitely give this a try.
It is a PIA to make the gravy after the bird is done & carved up, cause we boil down the carcass to make it with. This seems like a really good way to do it. Although we usually have our own turkey or chicken stock from a previous cook to use.
Al

Smoking the bones is good, weather permitting. Most frequently I Roast the the Veg and Turkey Spine, etc, at 425°F for around 30 minutes or until the desired color...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky