Alternative to finishing brisket in oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texan67

Original poster
Sep 6, 2022
There are many posts about starting a brisket on the smoker and finishing it in the oven. How about doing it the another way. I want to have a brisket ready for 4 in the afternoon. Starting the fire a 3 am and tending it for the next 12 hours is tough. Is there any reason why I couldn't put the brisket in the oven and set the oven to start at 4:00 am and then transfer the brisket to the smoker at 7:00 am?

I'd look into Hot & Fast brisket recipe's or doing the brisket in advance and warming it up. Not sure how much smoke a brisket would take starting in the oven. I also wonder about putting a brisket in the oven (I assume before bed) then having the oven turn on at 4. Seems like that would be a long time for raw meat to sit. A 12 hr brisket cook does not allow a lot of rest time for brisket and it may take longer than 12 hrs to cook.

I'm assuming you are saying you are gonna put the brisket in the oven before bed and have it turn on at 4am? If so that's NOT safe so scratch that. With that said you should start in the smoker. The reason I said that is because the brisket picks up the most of the smoke flavor during the first few hours of the cook. That's not to say it ever stops picking up smoke flavor. If you oven then smoke you will end up with a very light possibly nonexistent smoke flavor profile

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky