All Italian! 'Super Sod' Day....(Soppressa)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I loved it! Brought me back to my childhood when my Noni was teaching my Irish mama how to cook Italian. I cook a lot of Italian, all of it learned from my Mama. Noni was a unbelievable cook and a pretty darned good teacher. I paid attention in Mama's kitchen, of course I was her favorite. My sisters got married and moved out, their husbands suffer, now they come to me for advice and recipes. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Absolutely charming. What a delightful family. Swedes do the same thing, in the basement, but with way less spice and talking and flavor. I miss the family potatis korv parties.

And where is Part 2? Now that you hooked me I want to see Part 2!

I loved it! Brought me back to my childhood when my Noni was teaching my Irish mama how to cook Italian. I cook a lot of Italian, all of it learned from my Mama. Noni was a unbelievable cook and a pretty darned good teacher. I paid attention in Mama's kitchen, of course I was her favorite. My sisters got married and moved out, their husbands suffer, now they come to me for advice and recipes. RAY
Ray,

isn't it nice to be to be wanted!!

Keep being helpful my friend. I'm sure they appreciate you. . . I know I do!

John

Amazing flashbacks to my childhood, in my great Nona's basement kitchen, where we had Sunday dinner every week for years and years. You didn't miss church or Sunday dinners unless you were deathly ill or dead, or Noni would put a hex on you. This is how my family made sausage, none of these grams of this or that, it was handfuls or palmfuls, or jars full types of measurements. Their curing chamber was the root cellar or a closet, and nobody ever died or got sick from eating it. The stuff people go through today to make cured meats baffles my mind, I just don't see a need for all the crap they add to their food and how they handle the curing stages.

Thank you very much for posting this, I'm forwarding it to my Mother and Auntie's, they will for sure get a kick out of it.

Thanks again.
Dan.

This is how my family made sausage, none of these grams of this or that, it was handfuls or palmfuls, or jars full types of measurements.
The Salt comes out to 2.75%... The pepper paste works out to 3.5%. I have a jar of pepper paste and a 1qt. jar holds about a kilo. Have not done the red pepper yet, but it's 6 heaping TBSPS. per 60#, or 1 per 10#.

Last edited:
My family used a mixture of Calabrian chili's and red bell peppers that my Gramp's grew every year, it was pretty spicy right out of the jar but once mixed in with the meat or in sauces it was just enough heat to let you know it was there. LOL!!!
I loved that video, it was a complete flashback to my family get togethers, Gramp's made his own DEGO Red wine at stored it in those big gallon jugs, my brothers and me would sneak into the root cellar and eat cured meats and drink his wine when we were kids. LOL!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky