Akorn question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Colin, if you have the room , well than yes
If you don't have the room , well than MAKE room. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_grin:

David

Well said David. We are here to support each other, as friends do.

If you had a Weber Genesis II LX 340, a new Performer Deluxe, two WSM's, 14" & 18" and a Jumbo Joe. Would you need to buy a Char Griller Akorn? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

I own an Akorn Colin. Yes you need one.

Reactions: Colin1230
Ok, I'm on the hunt. It's got to be graphite or black. Lowes has the best price at $339, $419 with cover and smoking stone but unavailable. That's ok, they will notify me. :emoji_grinning:
Thanks for the nudge everybody.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I'll be the contrarian here and say that if I had your current lineup of hardware, I'd put the money towards buying more meat Or more expensive meat. But that's just me.

Either way, it's a fun decision to have to wrestle with.

Well, I finally popped. But here is the deal. While on Amazon, getting ready to order for $374, I noticed (1 used) available. Checked out the offer and it was a brand new Akorn in a damaged box for $257. We will see what it looks like when it arrives next Friday.

From Home depot I put a 17" charcoal grate for a 22" weber kettle on the three smoking stone supports for indirect cooking to hold a 15" pizza stone and an alum disposable drip pan. It's a great elevated charcoal grate for steaks etc. and fits perfectly. I got a smokey joe 13" charcoal grate for the 18" kettle and put that on the 17" grate opposite the direction of the 17" bottom grate so lump doesn't fall through. Also the 13" grate fits on the wall of the insulated insert so its a little higher than the 9" or so stock grate. Put the 9" ontop of the 13" so lump doesnt fall through as well. It's doing great for 10+ years.

From Home depot I put a 17" charcoal grate for a 22" weber kettle on the three smoking stone supports for indirect cooking to hold a 15" pizza stone and an alum disposable drip pan. It's a great elevated charcoal grate for steaks etc. and fits perfectly. I got a smokey joe 13" charcoal grate for the 18" kettle and put that on the 17" grate opposite the direction of the 17" bottom grate so lump doesn't fall through. Also the 13" grate fits on the wall of the insulated insert so its a little higher than the 9" or so stock grate. Put the 9" ontop of the 13" so lump doesnt fall through as well. It's doing great for 10+ years.

Thanks for the tips doc, they are greatly appreciated. What have you done to extend the life for that many years? I would imagine just keeping it clean and covered would go a long way.

Thanks for the tips doc, they are greatly appreciated. What have you done to extend the life for that many years? I would imagine just keeping it clean and covered would go a long way.
I got these charcoal grate tips around here as well. I have kept mine under a grill gazebo and a cover in the winter. Out of the rain. I made a vent hat to keep rain out when not using it. Just a plastic container with a slit to accomadate the vent lever. Been getting lazy about the cover. The porcelain enamel paint has been great. No rust. Keep the cast iron top cooking grate dry.

Colin; The akorn's are known to rust away. I am lucky in that my GF has a barn that I keep mine in. Beware plastic covers they are known to promote rust via condensation.

I bought this stone from Amazon. Fits the Akorn just right. I see that it's gone up $10.00 since I got mine.

Colin; The akorn's are known to rust away. I am lucky in that my GF has a barn that I keep mine in. Beware plastic covers they are known to promote rust via condensation.

I bought this stone from Amazon. Fits the Akorn just right. I see that it's gone up $10.00 since I got mine.

Thanks, Jack.
I have the CharGriller stone on the way but have not decided on a cover yet. The original Akorn cover gets pretty good reviews. The grill will be kept on a covered patio. I can't get too far ahead of myself because I may have to return it if it is damaged.

Reactions: one eyed jack
I have mashed the button on several Amazon "Lightly damaged" items. All have arrived in brand new condition, at a good savings, although as you mention, original packaging is often not perfect.

Best luck.

Thanks, Jack.
I have the CharGriller stone on the way but have not decided on a cover yet. The original Akorn cover gets pretty good reviews. The grill will be kept on a covered patio. I can't get too far ahead of myself because I may have to return it if it is damaged.
May not need a cover with a covered patio. I just got a universal $6 cover for a gas grill that has areas for side shelves so I leave them up and lots of open area below the lid for air circulation vs folded down shelves and a cylinder cover that fits like a glove. I haven't covered it this winter. The snow on the lid and vent cover blows away before melting.

Reactions: one eyed jack
I did the Weber charcoal grate deal, but got a CI griddle from Academy instead of a ceramic plate. I've heard of too many of them cracking.
Then I found deep dish pizza pan at WalMart for a catch pan.

Akorn arrived today, I was not so lucky. Box was really buggered up.

IMG_20220211_144439.jpg

Called CharGriller C.S. and they are shipping a new grate right away. Very small dents in both the hood and body but not noticeable.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky