Featured akorn or joe classic 2?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sithrebel15

Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Local store has the akorn for $200 or the classic 2 for $680. They also offered $500 for the display which had the seals ripped out. Any suggestions?

I can't speak to the akorn. Hopefully some one can.

As for the Kamado Joe, you can get high temperature seals for about $ 30. I'm not the most talented and patient person, but I had no problems replacing the seal in my kamado.

I paid $300 for my Akorn, 5 or 6 years ago. Back then they needed some modification to achieve good low & slow. I've heard that they have addressed some of the air leak issues since. I can maintain 225* all day long, and it will go to 500* + in a hurry.

I've told many wannabe smokers that the Akorn is one of the best bang for the buck smokers available.

They will rust away to nothing, if left to the elements. I keep mine in a dry barn.

Reactions: dr k
I've got the Red Akorn from Menards called the Big Red Kamado Kooker. It's everything I thought it would be. No rust. I've had it about 10 years $248. Id get it again. Nice to easily move it on my deck. A 17" charcoal grate sits on the stoneware supports for an elevated charcoal rack or to hold 12-15" pizza stones for indirect heating. I did remove the air intake on the removable ash pan and put a bead of high temp rtv silicone around the ash pan opening, then put the slide adjuster back on. It'll hold 200° if you assemble the grates etc so your not letting the fire get away from you so I usually stack everything backwards for quick setups when the meat goes on. Im usually smoking at 250°+. The large removable ash pan is great and I use kingsford briquettes just like a regular steel grill.

I think I'm gonna get the joe. I don't have anywhere indoors I can store it and the ceramic is more durable.

Congratulations in advance, on your new smoker. I'm sure that it will be a nice one.

When do you figure you'll get it? What's the first cook going to be?

Congratulations in advance, on your new smoker. I'm sure that it will be a nice one.

When do you figure you'll get it? What's the first cook going to be?
It's in my car right now. It's going to be hell getting in to where I need it. I'll probably start with some pork butt. Cheap easy cut since I'm used to pellet smoking.

I've heard that they are heavy, and fragile; don't drop it.

Maybe call some friends for a smoker moving party. Chow in exchange for helping move the smoker.

Yeah, they are beasts ... you might think some kind of dolly if more a ‘horizontal’ move than ‘vertical’.

Have to move my BGE down from the deck to the patio, and no where good to grab it. Its on the mobile cart, so thinking ramps. Hope it doesn’t run me over :emoji_face_palm:

If you unbox it and take all the insides out, the shell itself is not that heavy. You and another guy could easily place it where you want it, if you don't have a long carry. Assemble the stand first and place it where you want the unit. Then just carry the shell to the stand and place it into the stand. You can assemble the rest of the insides once it's in the stand. I am an old man and my son and I installed my Big Joe up on my deck, so 3 steps to climb. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but it wasn't that difficult. One thing to be careful with it to always move it from the bottom, if you need to move it after it's setup. The grill is a little top heavy and will tip over easily if you don't push it from the lower area.

Actually Sith...You've had it for a while now....let us know how it is? Loving it or Meh, it's another way to cook?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky