air fryers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got one a few weeks ago and IMO they're not all that great. If you don't have a lot experience with it, its hard to figure out how long and what temp to cook fresh foods. Most of the time I overcook everything and its dried out. It no where near compares to oil frying especially home made fried chicken. If you want to cook things like pre made frozen foods like French fries or chicken wings maybe its ok. As for a steak, its only place is on a hot charcoal grill. My 2 cents

That may be true about most of the regular AirFryers, but as for the Ninja Smart Grill, yes it has a learning curve, but once you get the time & Temp nailed down, it's actually pretty easy. And I'll match my Chicken to any Chicken, especially since I don't bread them & I don't fry mine in oil. You can check my 12 years on SMF record----I hardly ever ate Chicken, before I got this Ninja. Now we have Thighs & Drums, and Boneless Thighs at least once a week, because it's soo freaking good!! Chicken to me was Ho-Hum, until I started making it in the Ninja, and the #360 made great chicken too, without breading.

IMG_8428.JPG

Bear

I went down the air-fryer rabbit-hole one weekend and finally settled on this.

Not what you typically think of when you hear air-fryer but I have been very happy.

Reactions: negolien
I went down the air-fryer rabbit-hole one weekend and finally settled on this.

Not what you typically think of when you hear air-fryer but I have been very happy.

I was eyeing that one up awhile ago!!
Looks like a Good one!!
Looks a little like the #360, but It's gotta be built a lot better.
The #360 makes great food, but is made cheaply.
The only thing that made me get my Ninja, instead of that Breville was the price!

Bear

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I was eyeing that one up awhile ago!!
Looks like a Good one!!
Looks a little like the #360, but It's gotta be built a lot better.
The #360 makes great food, but is made cheaply.
The only thing that made me get my Ninja, instead of that Breville was the price!

Bear
Part of the reason I chose it was the ability to move it outside in the hot summer months to cook and not heat up the house.

And then I discovered what y’all do here…..

Have dedicated outside cooking equipment
And not just one!
Many, many different ones……

And you need accessories to go with the equipment!
Not just a gadget but more of a type of assembly line ordeal…….

Things to prep the food
Improve the food
Help make the cook better
And now the one I learned today I need is to store the food better when the cook is over!

I am starting to think there is no end to this……

What have I stumbled upon…..

We have the Ninja Foodie 10qt XL. Haven't used our oven or bought oil in recent memory. The Ninja line of products are at the top.

In all seriousness the good airfryers are the best kitchen tool in my lifetime.

We have the Ninja Foodie 10qt XL. Haven't used our oven or bought oil in recent memory. The Ninja line of products are at the top.

In all seriousness the good airfryers are the best kitchen tool in my lifetime.
the square one of the round one?

Our LG oven has a built in air fryer, and convection settings. I think we tried the air fryer once and we weren't impressed. We have yet to use the convection. If we want fried chicken, chicken fried steaks or something similar. I'll make them on the kettle with the Vortex.

Chris

Hey All,

thanks for the posts.. I missed the good deals on day one for the basket fryers and honestly, I kinda wanted to replace my crock pot too so I was thinking of one of these . Anyone have these? They had the insta pot one on sale too was a toss up there's only a 10 doller differance

Last edited:
My wife bought the same air fryer as Boykjo and my experience has been the same as his. I haven't found anything it does well. Even frozen tater tots come out better in the toaster oven.
Am I inexperienced and not giving it a fair chance? possibly.
Bearcarver shows some wonderful food on his machine, no doubt about it. Still not sure it's enough to lobby for another counter-robbing device.

• Sad
Reactions: boykjo and negolien
My wife bought the same air fryer as Boykjo and my experience has been the same as his. I haven't found anything it does well. Even frozen tater tots come out better in the toaster oven.
Am I inexperienced and not giving it a fair chance? possibly.
Bearcarver shows some wonderful food on his machine, no doubt about it. Still not sure it's enough to lobby for another counter-robbing device.
Yeah I ended up getting the ninja pressure cooker air fryer so it at least replaces my slow cooker if it sucks lol

...replaces my slow cooker if it sucks...
Lot of things will go before my slow cookers...they've proved their worth if only as down-home (casual) chafing dishes for party meatballs etc. And great for making stews!

But best of all...they're only used occasionally so storing them in a hard-to-reach under-counter shelf is just fine. It's the stuff billed for regular use that eats up precious countertop space that have to work pretty hard to justify a place in my heart.

• Haha
Lot of things will go before my slow cookers...they've proved their worth if only as down-home (casual) chafing dishes for party meatballs etc. And great for making stews!

But best of all...they're only used occasionally so storing them in a hard-to-reach under-counter shelf is just fine. It's the stuff billed for regular use that eats up precious countertop space that have to work pretty hard to justify a place in my heart.
The 12-1 slow cooks so I don't need 2 slow cookers. I might save my old crock pot insert to use in the smoker though LOL :<)...

Ours is a combo toaster oven/air fryer which we use the air-fryer part to mostly reheat leftovers. One surprise is reheated french-fries in the air fryer are maybe a bit better than when they are fresh!

Toasted ravioli is another thing we use it for.

Cook times are very, very fast! The difference between done and partially charred can be as small as a minute.

I don't think most people realize that an air fryer is just an oven with a fan that blows the air around to get a more even and faster cook.

We bought our first one a few years ago. It would sit on the counter so we got one big enough to replace the toaster oven and still do the same job plus more.

air_frier.jpg

It was electric but worked pretty well. Like any appliance you have to get to know how to use it. Sure we over cooked a few things until we got it dialed in but once you figure it out it is the best choice between an oven and a microwave. It cooks faster than an oven and slower than a microwave. The food can come out better than either.

It even had a rotisserie.

2020_10_30_chicken_001.jpg

They are great for reheating foods. Much better than a microwave. They are also nice for things like fries and other things that would be much greasier deep fried.

Here is some chicken and waffle fries.

air_fry_chicken_waffle_frys.jpg

We gave that one away to family when we had our kitchen rebuilt since I bought a gas range that has air fryer capability. I use it at least twice a week if not more. If your first try didn't work watch some YouTube videos on how to Air Fry. Once you know how to use one well you will not regret it.

kitchen_remodel_003.jpg

Another option instead of buying new is to check out good will in your areas, or look on craigslist.

In practically every good will I've been in this year, I've seen toaster ovens, crockpots, instapots, coffee makers, stand mixers, bread machines, etc.

Makes me wonder why people are giving away or selling their instapots/airfryers if they're so popular.

I don't have an instapot or air fryer, but I keep looking for the right one on craigslist/good will.

Makes me wonder why people are giving away or selling their instapots/airfryers if they're so popular.

Clearing out a deceased relatives home, upgraded, duplicate gift, downsizing, need money. There are many reasons. Of course it could also be stolen.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky