Air fryer smoked wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andycaree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Hey there everyone. I just got a new Frigidaire oven that has a built in air fryer. Who has a great recipe for smoked and air fried wings? I just did a batch of wings in MES 30 for a little over an hour at 225 and then put them in the oven air fryer at 425 for about 15 minutes and I flipped them midway. They didn’t get super crispy though. How do you guys get them crisped up in an oven air fryer after you use the smoker? BTW, they went in the smoker with just a dry rub on them. No oil was used

AC, IMHO the wings need oil on them to crisp up in an air fryer.
You think brushing them with a little vegetable oil after smoking and prior to going on the air fryer would be the way to go?

I agree with CM , but if you go to long in the smoker the skin gets tough . I don't think you can get back to crispy from there . At least not in an oven / air fryer .

Baking powder on the skin before hand will lower the PH of the skin and help with crispness .

I agree with CM , but if you go to long in the smoker the skin gets tough . I don't think you can get back to crispy from there . At least not in an oven / air fryer .

Baking powder on the skin before hand will lower the PH of the skin and help with crispness .
How long would you smoke them before putting them in the air fryer to crispen the skin?

Andy , that's a good question , but I do my wings on a gas grill . They come out like fried wings . Baking powder , salt and pepper . A dusting of flour and a TBLS of oil on the sheet pan .
1640225820809.jpeg
I recently did these on a SmokeFire pellet grill . Ran it in smoke mode for an hour or two .
Then cranked the heat up . Man they were good .
1640225966350.jpeg
I know some of the guys have good info to answer this question . If they don't see this , I'll look for soem threads and get them to you .

How long would you smoke them before putting them in the air fryer to crispen the skin?
AC, I think you'll have to do some experimenting ,maybe start with an hour of smoke ? I know no one wants to mess wings up when they cost what they do these days ! :)

Reactions: chopsaw
Andy , that's a good question , but I do my wings on a gas grill . They come out like fried wings . Baking powder , salt and pepper . A dusting of flour and a TBLS of oil on the sheet pan .
View attachment 519670
I recently did these on a SmokeFire pellet grill . Ran it in smoke mode for an hour or two .
Then cranked the heat up . Man they were good .
View attachment 519671
I know some of the guys have good info to answer this question . If they don't see this , I'll look for soem threads and get them to you .
Going to have to try this. What is your ratio of baking powder used to the salt, pepper, and other spices you may add?

Going to have to try this. What is your ratio of baking powder used to the salt, pepper, and other spices you may add?
I don't get real technical with it . Just sprinkle the baking powder on and rub it around a bit . let the excess fall off . Put in the fridge uncovered . Maybe an hour or so . I just salt and pepper after that .

Reactions: chew2475
I gave up with low temp smokes (my MES40 only goes up to 275F) for wings. Skin was always too tough…on any poultry.

I fire up the ancient Brinkmann grill and offset smoke them at 325F (+/-) for best results,

I haven't bought Wings in a Few Years!
Too much money for a pile of Bones with skin on.
I just get Boneless & Skinless Thighs, for less money, and run them through my Ninja's Air Fryers. They look like the Picture below:

Bear

Takes less than 20 minutes. Even less if you Smoke them first:
IMG_7387.jpeg

Reactions: crazymoon
I do a lot of wings. I do mine in the MES until they get a little color on them and then straight to the airfryer until done.

Much like chopsaw chopsaw . I also will do them on the gas grill I just throw an Amazen tube in there to add smoky flavor.

I do a lot of wings. I do mine in the MES until they get a little color on them and then straight to the airfryer until done.

Much like chopsaw chopsaw . I also will do them on the gas grill I just throw an Amazen tube in there to add smoky flavor.
Do you brush any oil on them before going into the air fryer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky