Ahoy from Illinois!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mitchapalooza

Original poster
Oct 5, 2022
Chi suburbs
Howdy everyone. I've been perusing around these forums for a while just trying to soak up some knowledge, and figured I would finally make an account. Just purchased my first ever smoker, a Recteq RT-1250, and assembled it last night. Until now, all I have ever really messed with were NG/LPG grills, but have always wanted to get into "real"(?) barbecue and smoking.

Right now, I'm just trying to learn enough of the fundamentals that I don't end up completely trashing the meat I throw on it. And also, perhaps learn how to get more adept with seasoning beyond just what I call SPGOP (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika). I've got some maple sugar and honey granules I'm dying to figure out how to use properly when I want either a maple or honey character going. Because just a standard sugary sweetness...any old sauce or rub can do that, in my experience. But first, it'd just be nice to get some decent ribs and pull pork butt off the Recteq.

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 4
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new smoker. Butts and ribs are fairly easy and both are good when first starting off. The main key to a successful smoke is patience. Don't get frustrated and make sure to give yourself plenty of time. When your ready to fire up the Recteq start a thread and let us know what hunk of meat your smoking. We can walk you thru the process if need be.

Chris

Welcome from SE Arizona. Congrats on your new RT-1250.
Plenty of Rec-Tec....err...Recteq owners here on SMF to help guide you if need be.
Like gmc2003 gmc2003 mentioned above, ribs and butts are easy first cooks or you could go with yardbird thighs to get a feel for how the RT-1250 responds etc.

Reactions: Mitchapalooza
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky