Affordable Quality Cutlery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott in kc

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2006
South of KC MO
I have some knives laying around the kitchen that have become favorites for Q (both prep and cutting finished stuff) just because they're better than the rest of my junk knives. My list of "go to" cutlery is short...

1 Pair of Cutco kitchen shears, chicken prep, St Louis trimming spares etc

2 Rapala Filet knife, my favorite for prepping raw meat, trimming briskets, butterflying loins etc

3 Big serrated Cutco slicer for brisket flats

The Cutco knives are pretty good stuff, but I got them all as gifts, I'm not likely to spend that kind of $$ on new stuff.

What do you use that is not too pricey?

I have a pretty short list of knives that I would not be able to live without. They are both from the Pampered Chef (I sell it so I buy it). One is a large 8" Chefs knife and the other is a 5" utility knife. I have yet to come across a kitchen situation that these two knives can't handle. They come in a protective case that is self sharpening and paird with my Polyethylene cutting boards I havn't had to worry about dull kives in over a year! In fact this past fall I used my utility knife to process deer with Ben and his hunting buddy and then used that knife the very next day to slice tomatoes, that's how sharp they stay! The best part is they are very affordable (Chefs knife is $25.75 and utility is $18.75, also a paring kife of same quality/features for $14.75)

I have a number of Forschner pieces like 2- 14" butchers, 6 1/2" skiner, 6" bonning, 14" slicer,
a second 12" slicer with granton blade.
A MAC chef's knife, Henckle 12" slicer. There are a number of other knifes I will loan out.
Jim
PS: Forgot the Golbal slicer. The Golbal and MAC were more expensive as all the other cost wise but are great tools to use. The Victorinox line
is a real good choice for what we do.

I have two favorite knives I use one is a boner which I use for about everything and the other is a large butcher which I use of course for heavy work.They are both made by Case,the only problem is when I started buying them Case had just went out of the kitchen cutlery business and you cant find anymore.

When I used to cut meat for a living I used the Victorinox product line and I still have a number of those knives that I still use. I also have a couple of Chicago Cutlery knives in the mix but I think my favorite go-To" knife is my Rada Cook's Knife. It has a "Santoku" style blade with a stainless steel handle. It is light and SHARP!

I saw a set of the ronco knifes at Shopko last week. It was a set of 25 knives for around $30.00. My wife bought the the ronco set last year and while I use some of the knives, there are a bunch still in the shipping box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky