advise on finding wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
I would like to find a source to purchase some fruit woods to have on hand. I have checked the usual Lowe's, Menard's, Wal Mart, ect. And have only been able to find hickory chunks. I have only found fruit wood in chips.

Does anyone have any advise on where else I may inquire to purchase some.

I thought about calling some tree trimming business' around me but I am concerned about getting the actual type of wood I am looking for.

I have also seen wood chunks for purchase on line but would rather not do that.

Last edited:
Call local tree trimmers. Usually they're more than happy to let you haul away some wood. Just let them know what you're looking for, explain why, and give 'em a few bucks for coffee. They'll be calling you when they're cutting a tree.

Westlake ace hardware.  They have alot to choose from.  My father called and he was at one of his farms and found and endless supply of pecan and hickory trees for me.  Can't wait for the road trip next week. 

Dasmoke

I dont know if you have any orchards around those parts, but they usually sell of some pretty good varieties of smoking wood and at really phenomenal prices...
Steve beat me to it.

Around here the orchards trim in late Fall, and sell the stuff really cheap.

You must have a bunch of orchards in Illinois. Stop in & wheel & deal.

Bear

Where is westlake ace hardware?

Westlake ace hardware.  They have alot to choose from.  My father called and he was at one of his farms and found and endless supply of pecan and hickory trees for me.  Can't wait for the road trip next week. 

Dasmoke

Well, I called some local tree trimmers today and got my name on a list. Both the guys I talked to seemed to be used to people calling for this sorta thing.

I also called a local BBQ street dealer named Doctor of BBQ. He was an awesome guy and was more than willing to point me in the right direction. He actually gave me a number to a friend of his that was in just last week trying to sell him some apple wood. Much props Doc!!

And yes I know of some orchards around here. I'll have to give them a call as well.

Thanks for the advise everyone!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky