Advice on Smoking Cheese on my WSM and / or Weber Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought about creating smoke in one of my smokers and piping it into my Kettle with a dryer vent hose or something of the sort to get the temp as low as possible. I think I would definitely have to do it at night time this time of year.

I'm curious though, how would you get smoke with no fire? Are you saying just some coal that are smoldering?

He meant to actual fire in the grill/smoker besides a smoldering smoke tube.

1660001510739.png

Last edited:
Both those units will work but the WSM would be the better of the two...
What SmokinEdge SmokinEdge is referring to is cold smoking with a pellet tube smoker... Myself I prefer the tray with sawdust when doing cheese (less heat)...
This is usually done in the cooler/cold months for obvious reasons and then vac packed and saved for the summer months ..

So I wanted to try cold smoking without spending money.

I did buy a new cheap soldering iron for the experiment just to see If I could and if I would like the results.. Drilled a hole in the side/bottom of a soup can (or bigger) and stuck the tip of the soldering iron in it.... filled the can with wood chips and plugged the soldering iron... covered the can with foil and punched a few holes in it.... It smoked like a dream ...

Set that git-up on a firesafe table... I used stackable racks to put the cheese on... I then covered the whole thing with a big cardboard box... cut intake/exhaust vents in the box...

And there you have it... a CHEAP cold smoker... LOL ....

It really did work well...

edited to say. Please use a NEW soldering iron for this

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
I've been smoking cheese for a couple years but I only do it in the winter. I use my SnS and keep the cooker temp in the 70-90 F range. No water pan. I start with two (2) Kingsford briquets and add chips. Add one briquet as needed and chips as needed. Smoke for 2-4 hours. Comes out great.

I use the A-Maze-N with pellets and here in Texas even the winter can be tough, so I freeze water in a pan and add on the shelf above the A-Maze-N. I do it in my electric smoker, but obviously don't run the heating element. Works great.

Here is thread I used when I first smoked cheese. Lot of good information:

- Jason

A tray half full of dust in the bottom of the WSM and top rack full of cheese...MMM. I usually go about 3 hours of smoke. Have the cheese get to room temp so condensation is not an issue. It is very easy to smoke cheese.

As said above, smoking cheese is very easy. It will last for a year or more if vac packed & refrigerated. And it will be better than anything you can buy in the store. As to what to smoke it in. I would go with the WSM, due to the fact that you can get the cold smoke source farther away from the cheese, so it has a chance to clean up a bit. That way it will need a shorter rest before eating.
Al

I have always smoked with logs / wood chunks / and to some small degree wood chips.

I haven't used dust before and haven't used smoke tubes. My smoking has been with my WSM upright water smoker and my Hasty Bake charcoal oven.

Is there a preferred smoke tube brand and smoke dust? Also what kind of wood is typically used for smoking cheese? I plan to smoke some cheddar tillamook, some extra sharp tillamook, and probably some gouda. It looks like late next week may have a high temp of mid-70's in the forecast for the high where I am in Colorado. So it may try it then.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Troy

Is there a preferred smoke tube brand
I have a kingsford brand one I got at my grocery store, but the ones I see most people around the forum using are these.

They are made for pellets, but some pack sawdust in them tightly using a dowel to pack it in because you get cleaner smoke, and the dust burns cooler.

Totally agree with Keith

Here's my WSM cheese set-up

That's the maze with apple dust on my kettle grate. I start it there and move it to the charcoal grate of my 22" WSM. I'm to old and fat to bend down to lite it.
1660087291259.png

and the cheese on the top grate of the 22" WSM
1660087460796.png

Chris

Ok, I have the cheese in the smoker. They've been in there about 3.5 hours. I'm going to take them up soon.

How long should it rest and should it be in a sealed bag? At room temp or in the refrigerator.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 8.08.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 8.08.30 AM.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky