Advice on pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
So I’m sitting here waiting for my RT-700 to arrive on Thursday! And I just realized that I am going to need some pellets if I’m going to fire this thing up.
I definitely would’ve assumed all pellets are the same. But I remember reading differently when I was researching pellet smokers. It seems as though some pellets are better than others.
Any suggestions? Any to avoid?
The other day at Cabelas I noticed they sold Traeger pellets for $19/20lbs and then Cabelas brand for $10/20lbs. That’s a big difference! But are either even worth a crap?

Thanks all!

I have 2 Traegers and use Traeger pellets, Pit Boss, Cabellas...not much difference with same woods. I like some of the Traeger blends better (Signature and Gourmet), but that's just me. Pit Boss Competition yielded much more ash after when I cleaned out grill when bag was done (about a dozen cooks). I say try stuff and see what you like.

Hope that helps.

I don't own a pellet burner but I use pellets for with my AMNPS tray to provide smoke.

With that said my approach in your shoes would be to buy the cheapest well workign pellets i could find to burn as fuel (Pit Boss Competition Blend at most walmart and lowes is like $16/40lbs).
I would then get an A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker tube (AMNPS tube) and load the best 100% pellets or personal combos u wanna make to provide best smoke flavor.

This way u have cheap wood for heat and some smoke and good pellets for good smoke flavor.

I believe Cabela's brand is rebranded Lumber Jack pellets and Lumber Jack pellets are amazing and my favorite. Lumberjack will give you 100% of the pellet on the label unless it states otherwise as being a blend.
Other brands of pellets give u like max 30% of the wood on the label and then 70% less expensive and more readily available wood, so like Hickory would be 30% Hickory and like 70% Oak or Alder, etc.

Lumber jack pellets are probably the best pellet along with cooking pellet brand. I also like BBQ delight pellets. Stay away from traeger and pitboss they produce a lot of ash and the traeger uses oils to produce flavor. I also have a Rec Teq bull. You will love it it’s a great smoker compared to the traeger and GMG I had before it. Good luck

When I got my pellet grill, I asked my son what to buy, I didn't care about the expense! He immediately answered "Lumberjack is the BEST!" so I ordered a 40# bag from Amazon and never looked back! They work wonderfully and produce great smoke! If you got the best, why mess around with the rest?? $39.99 for 40 lbs.

I believe Cabela's brand is rebranded Lumber Jack pellets and Lumber Jack pellets are amazing and my favorite. Lumberjack will give you 100% of the pellet on the label unless it states otherwise as being a blend.

This is very interesting! At that price, I may have to try them. Anyone else ever heard this about the Cabela’s pellets?

Pops I sure would like to sell you pellets at that price lol, we pay $8.88 for a 20lbs bag at rural king, sorry everybody cant find 1 local like some of us, skip the oil laced pellets imo. I would much rather burn pitboss pellets that oil laced pellets.

If you have a rural king in your area lumberjack pellets are $9 a bag. I believe cabellas and bass pro shop pellets are made by lumberjack as well

Lumberjack has a great reputation and seems to be the consensus. I use Cookin' Pellets and like them. Be sure you get a pellet that is not full of fillers or flavoring. If it claims to be hickory then it should say 100% hickory, not hickory and alder or hickory and something else. Here is a link. Shipping is included and UPS delivers boxed, one bag per box, not on a pallet. They sometimes run discounts...

Reactions: tallbm
Lumberjack has a great reputation and seems to be the consensus. I use Cookin' Pellets and like them. Be sure you get a pellet that is not full of fillers or flavoring. If it claims to be hickory then it should say 100% hickory, not hickory and alder or hickory and something else. Here is a link. Shipping is included and UPS delivers boxed, one bag per box, not on a pallet. They sometimes run discounts...

To second what Blues1 says, you will see bags that say 100% Hardwood which is NOT the same as 100% of the type of wood you are looking for like Hickory. 100% Hardwood is often an indicator of a plend where 30% Hickoery and 70% Oak IS 100% Hardwood just NOT 100% Hickory hahaha.
This is one reason why 1-2 brands like Lumberjack and Cookin' Pellets are so highly regarded. They will clearly tell you if you are buying a blend AND the wood they use produces the best results.... probably because it's 100% of the wood on the label and they don't seem to try and cut corners in any way that I can tell.

Reactions: Blues1
The lumberjack for $39.99/40# does seem quite high. I pay $9.99/20# when not on sale

Dick's Sporting Goods also has Lumberjack in stores and an order to store option. Not as low as $9.99 but is in between that and high end prices.

Important note, shipping is NOT included when you buy direct from Cookin Pellets. Sure wish it was though as $22 shipped for a 40lb back of perfect blend sure would be nice.

When I got my pellet grill, I asked my son what to buy, I didn't care about the expense! He immediately answered "Lumberjack is the BEST!" so I ordered a 40# bag from Amazon and never looked back! They work wonderfully and produce great smoke! If you got the best, why mess around with the rest?? $39.99 for 40 lbs.
In Iowa we get them for $16 40lb bag at Norbys. Look around for a true value hw store or ACE and see if they carry Lumberjack locally for you.

Reactions: tallbm
I think the Aces around here are Traeger dealers

Important note, shipping is NOT included when you buy direct from Cookin Pellets. Sure wish it was though as $22 shipped for a 40lb back of perfect blend sure would be nice.

When you buy the bulk mix and match, shipping is included. Individual bags, you are correct, shipping not included. I got the mix and match to try different ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky