Advice on new toy for new deck needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Primerib

Original poster
May 31, 2018
We’re building a deck this spring and despite the high cost of lumber and contractors, all I can think about is finally having a dedicated outdoor cook area and the urge to buy a new cooking toy or gadget to keep on said deck. Not having to haul the grills out of the garage every time I want to cook! My grill fleet is modest but entirely adequate, I have a couple Weber kettles (22 and 26) and a WSM 22. Really, I don’t NEED anything new but it’s fun to shop around for deals and think about the different things/ways you might be able to cook.

The three items currently on my mind are a Kamado (KJ or BGE), a dedicated pizza oven (such as ooni), or a flat top griddle (such as Blackstone). Curious to hear your experiences and what you feel might give me the most enjoyment, based on what I already have (kettles and WSM). I’ll share a quick rationale behind each:

Kamado - besides the dubiousness of keeping a charcoal grill on a deck, I now question whether I really need one. I have always wanted one and got the kettle and later WSM as placeholders since when we bought our home we had no deck and I would have to haul it out into the driveway. I’m realizing now that there is likely very little I can accomplish with a Kamado that I cannot with the equipment I already have. Yet, they’re beautiful, possibly more fire-safe for a deck, and amazing multi-taskers. On a side note, I would actually feel guilty for abandoning my trusty Weber 26” 😂

Pizza oven - originally I thought the one big trump card Kamados held over a kettle was their ability to easily make wood fired pizza without the need for special accessories. My research tells me this possibly isn’t true, which is why the KJ Doe-jo exists. This was actually my entire rationalization behind getting a Kamado in addition to the kettles, now shot to sh*t. Enter my desire for a pizza oven, which is a unitasker if I’ve ever heard of one. Still, I’ve really gotten into bread making this past year and we make homemade pizza almost weekly, so I thought I may enjoy the equipment upgrade.

Flat top griddle - initially I scoffed at the blackstone craze that popped up a couple years back. I already have a stove range and a frying pan, and an old electric griddle that we don’t use. what more could I possibly accomplish with a dedicated outdoor griddle? Furthermore they seemed to be the newest consumer grilling fad, usurping pellet grills which in turn usurped the resurgence of Big Green Eggs, etc. Then we went to a hibachi place last fall and it all clicked as I pictured myself making mounds of fried rice next to steak and shrimp, or breakfast for a whole family reunion. Seems surprisingly versatile and fun.

Oops, this probably belongs on a different sub forum, my mistake!😬

The only one of those I have is a pizza oven. It is a bit of a unitasker even though the good folks at Gozney, the brand I have, would disagree. I’d not feel one pang of guilt leaving my Weber behind for a Kamado. In fact, I passed mine on to a friend when I got a PK. He loves it and I’m glad he’s getting some good use from it. The Kamado intrigues me but I have 4 grills and smokers and adding a Kamado isn’t going to happen but they do look like a great multitasker.

Reactions: Primerib
I would get a flat top or a nice Weber gas grill in the upper range, leave the spirit to us poor folks lol, hard to beat a 10 minute burger cook through the week imo

I have 2 pellet grills and an old gasser, so for me a Blackstone is next, though I am looking to get one of the models that can run on NG!

We’re building a deck this spring and despite the high cost of lumber and contractors, all I can think about is finally having a dedicated outdoor cook area
I had already gotten a quote back in the late fall for an outdoor cooking area, but with this economy and inflation, I've decided to wait a while, maybe a LONG while.

I would love to see yours when you get it finished. As for a new toy, mine would be a 2 burner propane fryer/cooker. Something that I could use for deep frying or boiling larger pots. I already have a propane line out to the cook area.
Something similar to this...
1647606731577.png

What about an offset? That would be the next step up in flavor. You already know how to manage a fire with the WSM. So the next step would be a pure wood fire. We have a 36” Lang, and it puts out the best BBQ of any of the smokers & grills that we have owned. I guess the downside would be having a fire on a wood deck may be a problem.
Al

What about an offset? That would be the next step up in flavor. You already know how to manage a fire with the WSM. So the next step would be a pure wood fire. We have a 36” Lang, and it puts out the best BBQ of any of the smokers & grills that we have owned. I guess the downside would be having a fire on a wood deck may be a problem.
Al
I’ve definitely considered trying this out, it really sounds like the epitome of American BBQ. I know so little about it but it has my interest. One thing I’ve pondered is how big of a side hobby does firewood need to be? Do most people just buy dried hardwood firewood and keep a certain amount on hand in their garage, or are we talking about seasoning cords of wood at a time in order to make it a sustainable hobby? Obviously for most working people this would be a weekend hobby at best, but I’ve wondered what the hidden effort of firewood is. Certainly for some it’s a labor of love, i’m sure. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll consider it.

BlackStone griddle do like the gas. But you can get the hose attachment. And use a 20-pound tank. I get around 8 cooks on a 1 pound tank.
I have the 22"version. And made a cart for it.
I also have a 16"ooni gas pizza oven. And that requires a 20 pound tank. Poor planning on my part. The Ooni doesn't fit on the cart I made. So I got a Harbor Freight metal cart. And put a wood top on it.

P7111057.jpg

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Yes my 36" blackstone loves the gas when you have all the burners running but it's worth it imo, gave it to my son as it was too much for just me and the wife, grandkids aint been coming over as much due to sports school and now work for the grandson. Looking to maybe get a smaller set up I can set on the stove and use my vented hood lol, the gas range is pretty miserly on gas, a 100lbs tank lasts well over a year so $80 to refill. I have a Blackstone Spot for the camper and it works great

Initially I didn’t get the Blackstone either, but it is now my most used deck accessory. We use it for everything and it keeps the heat and smoke out of the house. A version with the hinged lid is worth it imho. I haven’t lit the gasser since I got it. About to replace my pellet with a vertical charcoal.

I looked at a Blackstone, but in the end I just bought some Grill Grates for my Weber Genesis II 4 burner. Flip them to the flat side and they make incredible smash burgers and many of the other things one can make on a griddle. Adds a lot of versatility to my gasser.

Also, with the ooni you can get the grizzler plate, or use a CI pan to get amazing sears on steaks. And cook other things.

Update: went with a Blackstone! Seemed to be the most versatile of these ideas for a new cooking gadget and also, by a long shot, the most economical. Got a nice deal on a 36” with hard cover price matching at Fleet Farm (closer to me) with a Tractor Supply ad.

Got it assembled tonight. Just like anything mass produced...same as I’ve noticed with Weber kettles recently... I was a little disheartened seeing how flimsily put together the stand is. However, the grill top is SERIOUSLY heavy duty, once I put that thing on the whole unit seems fairly stable.

I can tell it’s goung to be a ton of fun to learn to use and it’s going to see a lot of use alongside the Webers this summer, really excited. Trying to decide what my first cook will be tomorrow night.

Congrats they are great units be sure to season it well. Smash Burgers, cheese steak, stir fry, breakfast for dinner, home fries, so many things to cook lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky