advice on first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
i have the brinkmann virtical gas smoker, just got it for christmas. i think that my first smoke will be a 5lb brisket. i have mesquite wood chips i'm going to use. i think that my biggest worry is too much smoke. i've read you can smoke for about half the time, so if i have it set at 225F it will cook for about 7.5 hours. i should make sure its smoking for about 3.5 and then remove it from the smoker when the internal temp is 180. wrap it up in foil and towels and let it sit for about an hour, then its ready to eat?

i'm going to be getting my brisket from the butcher, and probably going to use a rub that he recommends.

i think i read somewhere to check to make sure your chips are still smoking about every 45 or so minutes? as long as i have a little bit, i will be ok right?

i just want to make sure i have all my bases covered.

thank you for any opinions/advice you may have.

Joe

Joe, it sounds like ya got a good plan in place.With the smoke chips seem to burn pretty quick a hand full will last about 30-50 mins. or so.Just remember to keep the smoke thin and blue you don't want white billowing clouds of smoke.That can make your smoke taste pretty bad.Good luck,and let us know how it goes,remember we love pictures!!!!

I apply smoke until I reach 165 which is when I foil it and put it back on the smoker until I reach my finishing temp of 190-205 depending on if I am pulling or slicing. 

X2 And on beef imo salt ,pepper and garlic powder is all that's needed.

Rbranster got the temps right: 195 if slicing, 205 if pulling.  Let it rest at least an hour before pulling or slicing.  Eman is also spot on: keep the seasoning simple on beef.  Cheers, and no fear!!!  It only gets better with practice.

one thing it seems that i would need, unless i want it to take 20 hours to smoke this brisket, is a thermometer that i stick in the meat, with the remote readings, so i dont have to open the smoker to test the temps. is there anywhere local that you guys know of that i would be able to pick one up? i live on long island, NY. though if you know a place local to you, we might have them here, so any advice will help.

thanks

I apply smoke until I reach 165 which is when I foil it and put it back on the smoker until I reach my finishing temp of 190-205 depending on if I am pulling or slicing. 
I guess with me, it's up to X 5 on the RB Quote.

Bear

one thing it seems that i would need, unless i want it to take 20 hours to smoke this brisket, is a thermometer that i stick in the meat, with the remote readings, so i dont have to open the smoker to test the temps. is there anywhere local that you guys know of that i would be able to pick one up? i live on long island, NY. though if you know a place local to you, we might have them here, so any advice will help.

thanks
I have seen them at Lowes before, never used one.  Seems like it would work for you.  Good luck

Last edited:

thanks
Yeah, check Lowes or Home Depot... they occasionally have remote ones& they also have ones with wires you can run into the smoker and the reading gadge is on the outside... Good Luck... post a QView

icon_cool.gif

I agree with the heavy hitters here Eman, Rbranstner, Bear carver, and just about eeryone else that has over 200 post. Thats a good sign that they have done a fair amount of smoking here. So keep the smoking thin and blue and you will be golden.

thanks
Todd Johnson sells the best one (IMO), the Maverick 732.

You can PM him, or check it out at his site---here:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I have the 73, but I will be getting the better 732.

Bear

thanks

You can pick up digital probe thermometers pretty much anywhere that cooking supplies are sold, i.e. Target, Wally World, box stores, department stores, etc.  I have two that I picked up at Target years ago and they're still going strong.  I check them periodically with ice/boiling water to ensure calibration and I've never had an issue.  Just check the boiling temp of water in your location as it will change with elevation (technically it has to do with atmospheric pressure).  It doesn't venture far from 212 F (100 C) regardless, just good to know if you get a reading that's off a degree.

Good luck and enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky