Advice on Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
A few months ago, I somewhat perfected briskets. Last month, I picked up a 6.97 lb brisket from Walmart. I smoked the meat at 235*, with the goal of getting to 195* internally.

Once the meat got to 190*, I did the toothpick test and it was butter soft (easily removable) so I pulled the brisket.

I wrapped the brisket in aluminum foil and had it in a cooler for 2 hours.

Here's the problem, although the meat was cooked well, the fat did not render. There was still a lot of fat throughout, especially in the point. My previous brisket, the fat rendered well and that which remained was flavorful.

I'm curious about why the fat remained. What's your opinions?

Thanks!

Here's my opinion: There are typically two different types of fat on a brisket (hard & soft), & the amount of each type can vary from brisket to brisket. I always trim off all of the hard fat since it doesn't tend to render down. My fat cap typically ends up being about a quarter inch thick at the most.

Here's my opinion: There are typically two different types of fat on a brisket (hard & soft), & the amount of each type can vary from brisket to brisket. I always trim off all of the hard fat since it doesn't tend to render down. My fat cap typically ends up being about a quarter inch thick at the most.
Ditto. I remove harder fats like the "nut" where the flat and point meet. 

I'll also trim off almost all of the fat, rub the meat and then drap the fat back onto the brisket. That way if not all the fat renders you can just pick it off with tongs

Thanks gents. The meat is delicious. I just pulled some out of the freezer. But to much fat. Oddly, the brisket before this one was absolutely perfect. I didn't change one step.

Sometimes it's the difference in the briskets. I usually buy at Sam's you have to look at the briskets the best you can at our Sam's they mix select with choice in the display different grades different prices. And sometimes they just cook different. There are so many briskets processed you never know the quality of the cow it came from and the people doing the grading are people, sometimes they miss. The next one after the toothpick test look at it real close, feel of it, may need a little longer or trimmed a little closer. And I have seen large pieces of the hard fat between the flat and point.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky