Advice on a new smoker (Lang)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

et122334

Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
I've been smoking on a cheep offset Landman for a while now and have been doing a lot of research. I'm pretty sure I've settled on either a Lang or Yoder. My only hiccup is deciding on reverse flow or convection. Anyone out there have any advice? Pros or Cons? Different fabricators besides the ones mentioned? I do mostly longer cooks so something that maintains temp with less fuel consumption(I almost exlusivly burn wood) would be needed. Thank you in advance for responding

Boy, this question could ignite a holy war.

Personally, we do not use reverse flow smokers.  Seems to us that is pretty much an oven with a wood stove hung on the side; meaning that temp is controlled by restricting air flow to the fire (like a wood stove) rather than the size of the fuel load.  Having said that, I've had some phenomenally tasty BBQ from offsets.  FWIW, and we sell commercially, we cook on offset cookers with the firebox on one end and a stack on the other.  They do take closer monitoring during a cook, but are easier to make (we fab our own) and we believe we get a better heat/smoke swirl over the meat.

YMMV, and all the best.

Glenn.

I also have a Lang and love it. Mine was new in 2009 and it's still going strong.
I really like the way it cooks.

Last edited:
Icyhot

Shirley seems to be a great fabricator also but they have a one year wait time (obviously because they make an excellent product) so I've kinda crossed them off the list.

Seems like I'll be rolling with a Lang. Has anyone had problems with getting a reverse flow up to temp? I've heard they are easier to maintain once you've reached temp but it takes longer to get there.

Mine only takes 15-20 minutes to heat up.

They are pretty thick steel & it takes a little time to get the steel hot.

Al

Reactions: et122334
Icyhot

Shirley seems to be a great fabricator also but they have a one year wait time (obviously because they make an excellent product) so I've kinda crossed them off the list.

Seems like I'll be rolling with a Lang. Has anyone had problems with getting a reverse flow up to temp? I've heard they are easier to maintain once you've reached temp but it takes longer to get there.
Hi  If your looking for a Patio type smoker , give Shirley a call I believe the wait time is much shorter for the smaller pits.

Here is a pic of mine 24 x 36

Dan

Last edited:
Icyhot

What seems to work best for my Lang 60D is to load the fire box and overshoot the target temp a bit. Seems easier for me to adjust the temp down rather than up. One of Ben's videos actually recommends it.

It doesn't usually take more than about 30 minutes but I go about an hour to get it real stable.

Of course I live in Florida so it may be different if you live north.

That also give more time to sit back and ponder the realities of life while nurturing my brain cells with a beverage.

That's the opposite of the way I work my BGE.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky