ADVICE: Need a new grill - Weber vs. Char-Griller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You know what I think is a safer but not necessarily a cheaper alternative to lighting the coals? Weber's paraffin cubes, $3.29 for a 24-pack at Lowes or on Amazon. Just place one cube under the starter chimney (which I wish I had bought YEARS ago) and that's all you need. It's great for lighting charcoal, lump charcoal, wood chunks, No alcohol or propane lighters needed. I save my propane torch for lighting my A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker when I'm using my Masterbuilt 20" Electric Smokehouse.
You are probably correct Ricksta!  But I'm a cheap sob.  My alcohol stoves are made from cast off soda cans and I buy isopropyl alcohol by the gallon for about $5.00.  I use it at the rate of about a quarter cup per chimney light.  The propane lighter is one of those disposable things you get in multipaks.  We use them to light citronella candles in the summer and my bride uses them to light candles indoors.  I don't use my propane torch except to light AMNPS pellets.  I could probably get a bad burn from the alcohol if I were careless, but I use so little of it that it's doubtful that it could do much real harm.  Did I say I was cheap?

Can't go wrong with a Weber.  I have had mine for several years now and love it.  For small smokes invest $60.00 in a Weber Smokenator.  The possibilities are endless.   

You are probably correct Ricksta!  But I'm a cheap sob.  My alcohol stoves are made from cast off soda cans and I buy isopropyl alcohol by the gallon for about $5.00.  I use it at the rate of about a quarter cup per chimney light.  The propane lighter is one of those disposable things you get in multipaks.  We use them to light citronella candles in the summer and my bride uses them to light candles indoors.  I don't use my propane torch except to light AMNPS pellets.  I could probably get a bad burn from the alcohol if I were careless, but I use so little of it that it's doubtful that it could do much real harm.  Did I say I was cheap?
Rabbit--at least you believe in truth in advertising--you ARE cheap. (Just re-read this last line. I really didn't mean it in an insulting way, more tongue-in-cheek. Probably adding a smiley after it would have helped.)

I read "propane lighter" but I thought those cheap BIC and Scripto things ran on butane. I also use those to light the paraffin cubes in my charcoal chimney. The propane torch is exclusively for the AMNPS. So...you're really cheap?

Last edited:

Rabbit--at least you believe in truth in advertising--you ARE cheap.

I read "propane lighter" but I thought those cheap BIC and Scripto things ran on butane. I also use those to light the paraffin cubes in my charcoal chimney. The propane torch is exclusively for the AMNPS. So...you're really cheap?
Hey, I'm not only CHEAP . . .   I'm also SENILE!

What i called a propane lighter is actually a butane lighter - Bic/Scripto thing with a long nose.

Sliding back into my cave now.

Well, that was certainly a fun read!

With charcoal I've only owned Webers over the last 40 years.  Two Little Smokeys, one 18.5" and one 22.5".  I gave one of the Little Smokeys to a daughter who still uses it.  The other disappeared from a camp site.  I still have the 18.5" and 22.5".  The 18.5" is probably 20 years old.  The 22.5" maybe 12-15 years old.  Other than replacing rusty grates occasionally they just go and go.  Great for grillin' and smokin'! (I only use them for smokin' these days).

All I can say is that I have the Char-Griller and I really like it.  (I never say "I love it" because it can't love me back.) I use it for both grilling and smoking.  I have the sidebox and it works fine.  That would be my choice.

I have the weber performer, ,
and this is hands down the best grill I have ever owned.

It is big enough to be versatile. You can use this thing to smoke meat pretty easily.

I don't know if you've ever checked out www.bbqpitboys.com but this is the same grill they use in most of their videos.

I am biased because I own a weber but I can't imagine having anything better.

I would love to have bought the Gold for the hinged cooking grate and the closed ash catcher. My budget only allowed me the $70 the 22.5" One Touch Silver cost me on sale several years ago. This past year I bought the hinged cooking grate on sale. Still gotta deal with the open ash catcher but that's a minor inconvenience considering the money I saved by not buying the Gold.
I;ve read somewhere people converting the OTS into an OTG. The OTS regular price is 99.00 while the OTG 149.00. If you mabage to do the conversion for under 50.00, you're home.

I;ve read somewhere people converting the OTS into an OTG. The OTS regular price is 99.00 while the OTG 149.00. If you mabage to do the conversion for under 50.00, you're home.
Thanks for the idea but I only found ONE place that sells Weber parts put the ash catcher ring, handle and bowl would all add up to almost $50 without tax and shipping included.  Don't know how they sell those because the Weber site doesn't list those parts separately at all. Looks like I'll be sticking with out I have.

chargriller fan here.Cast iron grates,hinged lid,lots of space.Mines around 15 years old now,and still going strong.

The side firebox was the worst thing i did to mine.but it is a great grill.

Please get a Weber. You wont be sorry. I decided ONE time to buy an off brand. Major Mistake.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky