advice for planning 2 butts for pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My pulled pork notes from 11/7/18; 15 degree temp outside
2 - 8.5# pork butts
Could only average 225f on MES 40
10 hrs in smoker, Pecan dust
Finish in oven 350 for 1.5 hrs; to IT of 201 and 202
Pull warm ,SoFlaQuer finishing sauce (1) and Liquid gold (other)

how long after folks hit the IT of circa 203 do you normally pull? The last couple i've made I was running late both times and had to pull them pretty quickly after they were ready and I found pulling them tough work!

Hmm. Some roasts may need 205 but at 203 honestly it should almost pull itself. Maybe check the calibration of your thermometers with both iced and boiling water. This could be part of your problem.

Heck I just lost 2 probes this weekend alone that used to be reliable. It just happens.

I pull/remove at 205F at minimum but basically the thing should fall apart and come off the smoker in chunks. I don't pull mine but cut into chunks right after taking off the smoker. No rest at all.

how long after folks hit the IT of circa 203 do you normally pull? The last couple i've made I was running late both times and had to pull them pretty quickly after they were ready and I found pulling them tough work!

Once mine hit 195 IT I start wiggling the bone and probing to check for tenderness. Usually by 205 they're ready to take out of the smoker and rest. Every butt is different but 203-205 is a good rule of thumb. I've had them pull easily as low as 198 and had one that didn't start to fall apart until 213.

just wanted to pass on my thanks to everyone - between the two parties I had to attend while I was cooking I was certainly stressing a bit, but it all worked out fantastically well....here's the time line:

-Friday 4pm, cut the skin off, spread mustard and then covered "Salt Lick original" rub on 2x 7.5lb pork picnics

-Saturday 9:30am, took picnics out of fridge
-10:30am 'topped up' the layer of rub and placed in smoker with A-MAZE-N @ 230F with mixture of approx 70/30 oak/hickory
-11am left for first party!
-5:30pm returned home. Picnics were at 162F
-6:15pm picnics were at 164F, removed, double wrapped them in foil. Normally when i foil i crank up the heat, but as I was gonna be gone till at least 9:30pm i didn't want to run the risk of overcooking, so i left it at 230F
-6:30pm left for second party!
-10pm returned home, picnics were at 189F! Cranked up the heat to 275F
-Midnight, picnics hit 200F, and i took them off, opened the foil, poured out the juice into the fat separator and separated the juice from the fat. Left the pork to sit out for an hour.
1am pulled the pork - bones came straight out and it pulled apart really nice and easy. Refrigerated the pulled pork and juice and went to bed!

-Sunday 11am - placed the pork into a metal tray, spread it out, and tightly sealed with foil to keep the moisture in, then popped it in the oven at 350F
-11:45am - checked, pork was nice and hot, transferred to a crockpot, microwaves the juice, and poured it all in.
-12:45pm - left for the party - everyone loved the pork!! Was really juicy and had great flavor. I love the Salt Lick rub, it has great flavor and a nice little kick to it that really goes well with the smokey flavor.

It was a bit nerve wracking having everything cook while i was away for so long, far from ideal but it was the circumstances I had..... I've gone out while smoking before, but never for such long periods of time, so i had a decent chunk of luck nothing went wrong! thanks again for all the help and advice!!! Pics below...1) after the night in the fridge 2) 164F about to be wrapped 3) After the party, the leftovers!
IMG_20181207_125243.jpg
IMG_20181208_175555.jpg
IMG_20181209_193251.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Glad it turned out so well. There are times and situations when electric smokers are much more versatile than stick burners! Thanks for sharing,

now that looks tasty...good things happen when you get great advice from the awesome people on these forums :)
that is why everything turned out so well.....

Reactions: LaLaMatt
So for the last three Saturdays. I have done 6 (2 each) ~10lb shoulders, give or take a pound, for my annual Christmas gifts.

Same for all three weekends. MES30 at 275. Smoke until 140.
The first two were bought at Sam's club.
The next four were bought at our local military commissary.

The first Saturday, outside temp ~55F. Shoulders on at 0900. The top shoulder was done at 1600 and the bottom didn't finish until 2100. Did not wrap or rotate these two.

The second Saturday, outside temp ~43F. Shoulders on at 0900. Both held the exact same temps the whole time and finished at 1530. I was surprised they finished so early and was in the middle of a workout when the wife yelled the temp probes where going off, I thought she was fing with me. I wrapped them at 140, did not rotate them.

Yesterday, outside temp ~63F. MES at 275. Shoulders on at 0900. Wrapped and rotated the shoulders at 140. They both finished around 1700.

By the way I lost about 40% in weight. I package at exactly 1 pound and put about 35 packs in the freezer.

Nice job on your cook!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky