Advice? 9lb Turkey Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lautay

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2010
I found posts for small 3lb Turkey roasts, but I just bough a commercial 9+ pounder from GFS. Wanting insight as to how to smoke it. AFTER I bought it, I saw the regular baking instructions say to keep it foiled until the last hour. I'd still heat it in the smoker, but add the chips when unfoiled?

Any other thought/ideas? It's pretty risk free since I am also spatchcocking a bird in the oven and another bird going into the deep fryer. This one is just so I can be sure to send plenty home with my parents since they are staying locked in during current times.

Link to the product:

https://www.perdueretailtrade.com/products/detail/?id=254&title=PERDUE® Boneless Turkey Breast Roast

Thanks!

Attachments

• 35008_PP_35008_Im5_35008_InnerBag.jpg
    35008_PP_35008_Im5_35008_InnerBag.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 13
I've cooked Hundreds of these in Restaurants and for Catering events. They are typically, 2 to 3 Boneless Breast Lobes, pressed together in the wrapping process. They are Enhanced and ready to cook. The roasting binds the Lobes together. You want to Smoke a Raw, Naked, Breast Roast.
Place the Roast in a disposable pan. Using Scissors, cut a Double Cross in the foil, from top to bottom. Think a plus sign over a multiplication sign. (+×) Gently peel the points of foil back to expose the meat, leaving it in the Foil. You can cut away some of the foil or just proceed to go in your Smoker. Cook it to an IT of 160°F. Being in the pan will not have a major impact on Smoke Flavor, and these Roasts put out A LOT of liquid that will make great Gravy. Rest the Turkey Roast on the counter 20 to 30 minutes and carve...JJ

Reactions: lautay
I've cooked Hundreds of these in Restaurants and for Catering events. They are typically, 2 to 3 Boneless Breast Lobes, pressed together in the wrapping process. They are Enhanced and ready to cook. The roasting binds the Lobes together. You want to Smoke a Raw, Naked, Breast Roast.
Place the Roast in a disposable pan. Using Scissors, cut a Double Cross in the foil, from top to bottom. Think a plus sign over a multiplication sign. (+×) Gently peel the points of foil back to expose the meat, leaving it in the Foil. You can cut away some of the foil or just proceed to go in your Smoker. Cook it to an IT of 160°F. Being in the pan will not have a major impact on Smoke Flavor, and these Roasts put out A LOT of liquid that will make great Gravy. Rest the Turkey Roast on the counter 20 to 30 minutes and carve...JJ

That's awesome! I figured there had to be a way for the commercial smokers/bbq trucks to get the smoke in. I just could not pass up 9lbs of all white meat (my family's favorite). I'll try to remember to take a Qview pics so there is a blueprint on this site - IF all goes well, of course. I appreciate the advice!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thank guys!!!

Attachments

• 20201126_171824.jpg
    20201126_171824.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201126_152902.jpg
    20201126_152902.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201126_114819.jpg
    20201126_114819.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 10
Looks like it came out great. Nice color. ..JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky