Adding Smoke to Current Pig Rotisserie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jc03

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hello. I got lucky enough to find a propane fired pit rotisserie. It's all stainless and fully enclosed. How could I add some smoke to the chamber? I have a Masterbuilt cold smoker but don't really want to drill the stainless. I could also add some wood to the top of one of the burners? What do you think? Thanks.

Is there room to mount a rack over one of the burners for a cast iron chip tray? If you can post some pics of your rigs I'm sure you will get some ideas.

Barry.

Is there room to mount a rack over one of the burners for a cast iron chip tray? If you can post some pics of your rigs I'm sure you will get some ideas.

Barry.
Sure thing. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• E92C36E1-801E-4BBF-839F-0FE71ED7DF76.jpeg
    E92C36E1-801E-4BBF-839F-0FE71ED7DF76.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 64
It looks like you could do this several ways. 1. simply throw on some wood chunks onto the grates as need. 2. Add a wood chip box. 3. AMNTS pellet tube smoker.
Personally I would lean toward the pellet tube first, followed by straight wood chunks on the grate and chip box last. Now where to put a pellet tube or chip box may take some trial and error so that it -stays out of the dripping grease, stays lit or doesn't burst into flames. Do you have room underneath the burners? This might be the best location for airflow anyway.

Are there vents on the top of the unit? It looks like a well sealed unit and smoke would go stale if it cannot get out. I know you don't want to cut any holes but an external smoke box might be a good idea. Think mailbox mod only prettier for the stainless.

Barry.

96D5DF5C-5009-4A13-B0E9-63991963E076.jpeg
Are there vents on the top of the unit? It looks like a well sealed unit and smoke would go stale if it cannot get out. I know you don't want to cut any holes but an external smoke box might be a good idea. Think mailbox mod only prettier for the stainless.

Barry.
Yep. It has vents in the back.

By the way that rotisserie looks really cool! LIKE! Is that custom made or is there a brand or model?
Thanks! I'm not sure. I found it on the facebook marketplace. Apparently the folks I bought it from had purchased a restaurant and were no longer going to do bbq. I got a smoking, literally, deal on it. I can't find any names on it but if it isn't commercially made it had to be done by someone who is a master or working with stainless and metal.

The tube puts out a lot of smoke....try it, you could always get a second one later.

Barry.

Yup---I agree with Barry & Dave.
And I'm betting one of the Oval Tubes is enough. They put out way too much for my MES 40.
Should fix you right up !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky