Adding MSG to recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
When adding MSG to recipes how much do you guys normally add. Say for example I'm at 1.5% salt how much MSG would I add and then scale back on the salt? I've read 0.2-0.3%. If so would it be a direct correlation to scale back the salt to 1.3% or 1.2% with the addition of the MSG? Just want to hear people thought that have used it it there own recipes?

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
One of my secret weapons. I use it extensively now at .25% but ran it up to .5%. I researched the sodium contribution and IIRC the sodium contribution or saltiness is not linear and that mirrors my experience so IMO no need to scale back on the salt. MSG is more of a mouthfeel than saltiness thing known as umami. I would call it a flavor enhancer rather than a salt substitute. Glutamates are pretty much in everything especially sausage and those that have labels claiming no added msg are using lawyer speak and cheating using things SNIP some of the food additives that contain high level of free glutamates: monopotassium glutamate, glutamic acid, glutamate, vegetable protein extract, gelatin, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, Accent, hydrolyzed plant protein, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, senomyx, textured protein, yeast extract and autolyzed yeast.

One of my secret weapons. I use it extensively now at .25% but ran it up to .5%. I researched the sodium contribution and IIRC the sodium contribution or saltiness is not linear and that mirrors my experience so IMO no need to scale back on the salt. MSG is more of a mouthfeel than saltiness thing known as umami. I would call it a flavor enhancer rather than a salt substitute. Glutamates are pretty much in everything especially sausage and those that have labels claiming no added msg are using lawyer speak and cheating using things SNIP some of the food additives that contain high level of free glutamates: monopotassium glutamate, glutamic acid, glutamate, vegetable protein extract, gelatin, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, Accent, hydrolyzed plant protein, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, senomyx, textured protein, yeast extract and autolyzed yeast.
Awesome thank you for the information I really appreciate it I’ll try it this weekend at .25% and see how it turns out!!

Reactions: zwiller
After going through Covid and losing my taste and smell I appreciate MSG even more now ! My mom had a big container in the pantry and she used it . I am the last of 8 kids she popped out and I am 64 now and the other remaining 6 kids that are up to 18 years older are still kicking.

1645786123638.png

I found this cheap at the local BBQ store that has garlic, butter buds and MSG I'm told (don't hold me to that). Cheap, on clearance so I tried it. Normally not cheap but you can make your own.

I put it on as my ribs are resting after smoking, sometimes with barely any liquid smoke as a binder.
Pretty good goes the tales.
Really brings out the flavor.

zwiller zwiller I did .25% like you suggested in some fresh garlic sausage and some smoked venison bologna and man what a difference! I love it thank you for the advice!

pics.? We do love pics. here at SMF!!!
Will do although I took very little in process as I had a busy Saturday but I do have a few.. first time for using natural casings on the fresh sausage and first time butchering a hog 😂

The bologna was elk and pork fat mix the recipe was the same as my featured post called first time venison bologna with the only change being the addition of msg.

The fresh pork sausage was
18g/kg salt
7g/kg black pepper
2.5g/kg MSG
And 2 head of fresh garlic which was about 210 gram total
Stuffed into 29/32mm hog casing from Syracuse casing

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice! Thanks for posting pics.!

It does get easier after the first one.... did you make bacon with the bellies?
I have what I hacked off in a dry cure right now… the skinning process coupled with the hogs being 210lb didn’t land me with and nice 2” thick layer of back fat and belly meat.. once I tried to remove the rib section the belly that I was left with was very thin so I wasn’t sure how its turn out but I managed to salvage a couple decent looking chunks just wasn’t able to get a 275lb + hog and my skinning technique needs work… I have heard you can do bacon on a stick but idk how that would turn out. I’ll post pictures of that as well.

Nice! Thanks for posting pics.!

It does get easier after the first one.... did you make bacon with the bellies?
My biggest thing was to experience the whole process of shooting bleeding skinning gutting and turning it into an edible product next year I’ll get a bigger hog and try to fabricate and method to mechanically pull off the skin after a certain point

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Biggest tip I will give you is to make sure the pigs are calm at the shot. Pigs metabolism is a little different and they can really build up lactic acid fast when stressed. This will affect the meat. Use a rifle(no scope)-not a pistol. Make an X eye to opposite ear....aim so the bullet will exit at the throat....no meat messed up. Instant death. Use a large enough caliber.

I like to put an apple on a stick for the pig for the shot....to hold him steady.

next year I’ll get a bigger hog and try to fabricate and method to mechanically pull off the skin after a certain point
easiest way is to split the skin on the spine and take the hide off in two pieces. hide is really thick on the back....this helps.
At the deer camp skinning shed, there are two cables about 3' long set in cement. loops on the ends of cables. Take a golf ball or a similar object and put on hair side of hide. gather the hide around the golf ball from the other side. slide the cable loop over the hide and golf ball. crank on winch, hide peels off. One cable for each side....and you can readjust the golf balls to get another bite....just lower hog and do again...easy peasy. cut and trim as you crank though....

Last edited:
easiest way is to split the skin on the spine and take the hide off in two pieces. hide is really thick on the back....this helps.
At the deer camp skinning shed, there are two cables about 3' long set in cement. loops on the ends of cables. Take a golf ball or a similar object and put on hair side of hide. gather the hide around the golf ball from the other side. slide the cable loop over the hide and golf ball. crank on winch, hide peels off. One cable for each side....and you can readjust the golf balls to get another bite....just lower hog and do again...easy peasy. cut and trim as you crank though....
Great thank you I will have to keep that in mind for next time !!! And yeah the farmer I got it from requested he shoot it and that might of been part of the problem as he had to put two round into one of the pigs lol but anyways thank you for the advice I appreciate it !!

...unless you scald and scrape them. Not hard as long as you keep the water 140-150*F. This will loosen the hair enough to scrape it off, but any hotter ant it will set in tight. Then. once clean, you can split in half with a sawsall (9"blade) down the spine in half with skin on. I prefer skin on with domestic hogs and have some experienced people I can call on to be there for the slaughter an butchering. Many hand make light work.....I did not get a hog this year though, I was given 4 wild ones and got 148# of meat from them. Did not need any more pork!!!LOL!!!

...unless you scald and scrape them. Not hard as long as you keep the water 140-150*F. This will loosen the hair enough to scrape it off, but any hotter ant it will set in tight. Then. once clean, you can split in half with a sawsall (9"blade) down the spine in half with skin on. I prefer skin on with domestic hogs and have some experienced people I can call on to be there for the slaughter an butchering. Many hand make light work.....I did not get a hog this year though, I was given 4 wild ones and got 148# of meat from them. Did not need any more pork!!!LOL!!!
You have posted a lot of solid information here Inda, information for any who read. Many of your points I have also used and all work well. Great info.

Reactions: slavikborisov
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky