Adding chips/use of pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steves8860

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
First experiences with an electric smoker.

Inital wood chips started smoking within 15 minutes. Of course the element was on constantly until it reached temp. I threw some in later and they seemed to take longer to start. I probably should have put them in sooner. I occurred to me that the element would be on and off after it hit temp.

Do people increase the temp when adding chips to get the subsequent batches going? Do they just make sure to put them in when the first ones are still hotter?

Also, would mixing a chunk in during the first batch be a good idea?

And finally, this morning I tried pellets in it (the manual mentioned both chips and pellets in it's instructions). So basically asking about how/when pellets is best to be added.

The smoker has a side door to insert the chips and a glass door that I can sort of see the chip pan.

First experiences with an electric smoker.

Inital wood chips started smoking within 15 minutes. Of course the element was on constantly until it reached temp. I threw some in later and they seemed to take longer to start. I probably should have put them in sooner. I occurred to me that the element would be on and off after it hit temp.

Do people increase the temp when adding chips to get the subsequent batches going? Do they just make sure to put them in when the first ones are still hotter?

Also, would mixing a chunk in during the first batch be a good idea?

And finally, this morning I tried pellets in it (the manual mentioned both chips and pellets in it's instructions). So basically asking about how/when pellets is best to be added.

The smoker has a side door to insert the chips and a glass door that I can sort of see the chip pan.

Hi there and welcome!

I'm not sure what electric smoker you are using but the Masterbuilt Electric Smokers (MES) don't like to burn wood/chips at the lower 225F setting so well all the time. Wood doesn't want to smoke well at that low of a temp without a fire.

Solution crank up the heat to 250F and see if that helps you out. 99% of smoked food items won't care that you are smoking at 250F instead of 225F. This could solve all your problems.

As for chips vs pellets, I THINK pellets burn more easily but the MES says not to use pellets.
Most of us electric smoker guys use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray that you can load up with pellets or dust and it will produce PERFECT Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) for up to 12 hours with no hassle once you get it going.
It's a no brainer for us to use the AMNPS.

Some guys put the tray in the smoker but that may not always work. Others of us build what is called a Mailbox Mod which is a mailbox with a duct that runs to the chip loading hole of the smoker and the smoke feeds up and into the smoker that way. Doing this allows us to control airflow, etc. external to the smoker instead of having to open the smoker itself.

Anyhow, I hope this info helps and ask any questions you may have :)

^^^^what he said.
I'll just add this. Do a search here on the forum, and you'll see lots of examples for a mailbox mod.
In my MES I always use the AMMPS/mailbox. It works great and you're not adding chips every 20 minutes. As for adding chunks to the smoker tray, I've found that just doesn't work. If I want to add some wood chunks, I just split it into slivers and add them. I've never had any luck using pellets.
Gary

Reactions: steves8860
I would t crank it up just to get the wood to smoke. It will eventually smoke. And a lot of times with electric you don’t see smoke even. But rule of thumb… if you smell the smoke then your smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky